Monday, January 28, 2008

Lemme 'Splain...

No, there is too much, let me sum up. For those of you who are clueless, that's a quote from The Princess Bride, one of the Top 10 Movies of All Time. At any rate, I'm going to post here what I posted on Splitcoast Stampers when I got to Japan so maybe it'll catch the rest of you up on what's going on :) So here it is.

(Posted 2 weeks ago)
It was SUCH a long trip for all of us, I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever make it to the island! But here we are. We even went off base into the real life no kidding JAPAN today. I almost hyperventilated thinking we were gonna get SQUISHED by the crazy people driving on the LEFT side of the road but that's what you're supposed to do. We went back out again this evening with our sponsor who's been here for a couple of years so he knows where he's going and how to drive and we went out to dinner.....yeah, we hit a WENDY'S in Japan. Way to dive into the culture here. But Wendy's is Lee's favorite...now we just need a Sonic. We've got a Taco Bell on base so that's a good thing right?!

The parental units have been bugging us to get off base and actually go SEE the ocean, they can't imagine we've been here for six days and hadn't seen it yet but it's been hazy! Can't see it from hotel room although they seem convinced that you should be able to see it from ANYWHERE on the island including the bathroom that has no windows...crazy people. But now I can say that I DID go off base (to the Wendy's no less, at least the menu was in Japanese...on one side at least, other side was English) and we DID go by the marina to see the mythical ocean. Looked like water So for tomorrow's adventure, we're going to try to buy a car. A car shaped like a box, a box with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Because that's what they drive here in Japan. I want a bright jungle green color box car. Hubs wants a silver box car or a black box car. I think hubs might win for now but when it's time to get MY car it will be in a FUN and BRIGHT color so everyone on the island will know it's me.

And here's our car that we got! It's a dark green box!


I have since named the car Katara after a character on the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender. She's a Toyota FunCargo which just sounds funny, hehehe.

And here's what I posted on Splitcoast just a couple days ago...

I have ceased to hyperventilate when we go off base now...we've explored the island a bit and have gone in a lot of furniture stores (I'm totally gonna buy some GAWJUS furniture while we're here!!!!!) and yesterday we rode the ferris wheel in Americatown....kinda funny they have an Americatown here like we have Chinatowns in the US....and last week I met AMBER the cool new sistah, she took me to a 100 yen store, which is like the dollar store only COOLER stuff And last night I went bowling for the first time since I was a little kid, I had to use the granny-bowl method, and the first frame I did I got a strike. Yeah, it was the *only* strike I got. At the end of the night I was only two points ahead of the 5-year-old we were playing with, how sad is that? And we both had bumpers! It was hilarious watching 5yo grab the ball with both arms, waltz out there to the lane and then kinda do a spin/twirly thing and CHUNK that ball down the lane.

I tell you what Sistahs....I feel like an Amazon whenever we go off base, and a really tall and gangly Amazon at that. And I'm only like 5'6". But anyway, I think I'm going to like it here. It's amazing how many people I've met who have been stationed here before and wanted to come back again because they loved it so much. That's a good indicator that it's a good place to be, typhoons and all!

Oh, and to *reeeeeeeeeally* immerse ourselves in the Japanese culture for my birthday, we went to Chili's. Yeah, Chili's. They have goooooood chocolate dessert!

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

I think you got a green car because you miss Sally. I'm sure she is being taken care of.

The Brat said...

Cute car! Glad you guys are there safe and sound. Have a great time! Your folks keep me "in the loop" about your adventures. Your mom is sure excited about coming to see you in the fall. From Robin (your mom & dad's friend)