Thursday, February 28, 2008

Button, Button, Where's the Button?

They have weekly challenges on Splitcoast Stampers to make cards with different criteria--use a particular sketch or color scheme or technique, something like that. And there are some groups that do their own little challenges for each other, too. Well, last week I saw a bunch of cards in the gallery with a lot of buttons on them as Cindy (aka Mothermark) had issued a challenge to use 18 buttons on a card. Several challenge participants got the buzzer for using brads that look like buttons rather than actual buttons and of course, Cindy called 'em on it and then she said "It's not like I said use 62 buttons on a card, 18 is totally doable!"

I happened to post a comment right under her saying I bet *she* couldn't make a 62-button card. Well, she set out to prove me wrong, and today I got a card in the mail with 58 buttons...and an extra 4 in the envelope :) Well, I couldn't just let it go at that, but I thought that all my buttons were left in Texas (and most of them were). I happened to find a stash of them when I was puttering around my craft room today, so check this out, I got EIGHTY buttons on one card!! (if you click on the picture, you can see a gigundor version of it and you can count the buttons for yourself, in case you disbelieve me--I counted them three times)

Cindy's card is on the left, the middle button has a C on it. Mine's on the right with the butterfly :) I had gone out last weekend to the craft store here looking for some small buttons and couldn't find any, so I was positively gleeful when I discovered the ones I *had* brought with me after all. I glued mine on rather than sewing them on like Cindy did, hope that doesn't discount my challenge effort :) I even fit in a cute lil stamp, that butterfly is from Whipper Snapper. I got it for free months ago when they had a deal where you spend $50 and get that stamp free...hey, the statute of limitations has run out on that by now, Lee can't get mad at me for spending that much money on stamps that aren't SU (although he rolls his eyes at my SU spending habits too, hehe). That butterfly was just waiting around for the perfect card. The sentiment says "you make me smile!" because I was just absolutely rolling on the floor laughing my head off when I saw Cindy's 58-button masterpiece.

So, now we've both had an opportunity to put our money where our mouths are :) I'm going to have to take this one to the post office on Saturday and see if it needs any extra postage. I think I have something a little padded to stick in the envelope to cushion the buttons so hopefully none will fall off in transit. Now all I need is Cindy's bunny butt stamp, that thing is stinkin' cute, and I can make some more Mothermark-worthy cards!

6 comments:

mothermark said...

How well you summarized our *story*! Snort! What fun....and as I said...I am taking a few days to think things over, I just might have to concede!

And as far as the bunny butts.....I will have to send you some images. I honestly don't know if that stamp is even in production anymore....

Hugs to you! We had fun didn't we!!!

Amber said...

Wow, that's alotz of buttons! I dont' think I have 80 buttons! Great cards! Whacha doin this weekend, anything fun? Call me if you're bored, we can stamp:) I'm just hangin out at home all weekend, you know with house arrest and all;) I think Billy is golfing this weekend and flying his plane thingy tomorrow...I prolly won't see him till Sunday night, lmbo! Maybe we can get the kids together? Aww...my little Jesse ripped his claw off:( It actually has been crackin and yesterday I noticed it cracked all the way off so all I could see was his quick and he was bleeding pretty bad. So I have appt's for them Monday anyways(final quarantine) for the vet to look at him. From what I've read on the internet, they'll probably sedate him and cut his claws off and let them re-grow? I don't know but I'm worried!

adifrog said...

I got the order yesterday. I had a mounting party this evening. ;) Adam's delivering your mom's portion tomorrow for me. I've actually made some cards this week (not with the new stuff, obviously). I've got to replace my camera and/or scanner (don't you love how everything dies at the same time??) so I can start posting things again!

chelemom said...

What a cute use of those buttons!

Heather said...

Hi Christy, I like both of the cards (who would'nt?) but I like your's better. What a great idea! I'm always on the hunt for buttons, I even bought some @ a church rummage sale but they did come in an adorable yellow tin w/a bird on it. I think the whole thing was like 25cents lol. My mom has this jinormous mason jar full & I'm always giving her a hard time about it.

Jo said...

I love your button card. It is so cute!!