Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lemony Snickets

I've been cooking long enough (ok, baking) that sometimes I like to experiment a little bit. I did that tonight and came up with a new cookie recipe with some things I had on hand. Here's what I made:

Lemony Snickets :) Just because I think it's a funny name, the movie wasn't the best in my opinion but I digress!

1 lemon cake mix
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup white chips

Mix the first four ingredients together until dough forms; add white chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 350. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets, then remove to wire racks to cool completely. (The original recipe is for butterscotch spice cookies, which I think are kind of a fall thing...same recipe as above but use a spice cake mix, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 cup butterscotch chips. They're totally yummy too.)

Yes, I happened to have a lemon cake mix and lemon extract in my pantry today. I don't have baking soda, but I have those :) I suppose you could stick with the vanilla extract for the lemon cookies, but what can I say? I really like lemon, so I thought I'd just add the extract. They DO have a lemon kick to 'em, and they are quite good if I do say so myself. Lee's taking them into work tomorrow since they're doing 12-hour shifts and aren't allowed to leave to get food. I told him that's my part in making him popular here, hehehe. Cake mix cookies are great because you can usually make the entire recipe up in about a half hour to 45 minutes, which is pretty darn quick for cookies.

Vader did something funny tonight...Lee was having a couple of hot dogs for dinner and had just sat down on the couch with his plate. He felt something hit his leg and he looked--somehow Vader had wagged his curly little piggy tail into the ketchup & mustard on the hot dogs and gotten it all over his tail, and then slung some of it on Lee. We tried to get him away from the couch so we could get it off him but of course he wagged his tail at us and got a swipe of it on the couch. I couldn't quit laughing, but hey, it wasn't MY dinner.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I am borrowing the recipe! I can't wait to try them!