Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mexican Lasagna

I have this recipe that I got from my mom called enchilada loaf. The first time I told Lee I was going to make it for dinner, he said, "I won't like it, it's got 'loaf' in the title." I ignored him and made it anyway, and you know what? He loves it. He just can't stand the name. He says enchilada casserole is just as bad a name, and enchilada surprise sounds like something you'd get at a school cafeteria and then be afraid to eat. Wonder if he'd be cool with the title "Mexican Lasagna" because that's kind of what it is, it's layers of tortillas and meat and cheese and sauce like a lasagna, only Mexican-y. So here's the recipe.

Enchilada Loaf (or Mexican Lasagna)

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped (more or less depending on how much you like onion)
salt
chili powder
12 corn tortillas
2 small cans sliced black olives, drained (unless you're Lee, in which case you skip the olives)
6 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 cans enchilada sauce (I've only seen one size can for this, it's less than 15 oz.)
2 cans tomato sauce (15 ounces each)

Brown the beef and onion in a large skillet, seasoning to taste with salt and chili powder. Drain if necessary. Layer in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish: 6 tortillas (cover the bottom of the pan), half the meat and onion, 2 cups cheese, 1 can olives, and pour on one can each of the enchilada sauce and tomato sauce. Repeat layers, and top the whole thing with the last 2 cups of cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes; allow to stand for about 5 minutes before cutting. You can cut the recipe in half (except you'll need 8 tortillas) and cook this in a 8x8 or 9x9 square baking dish, too.

So except for the olives, Lee really likes this. I only put black olives on my half and if they "encroach" on the rest of the casserole, Lee starts hollering at me to pick them out. Such a silly person. I made this for the fundraiser we had earlier this week, and it seemed to go over well--the pan was emptied pretty quickly. The house smelled like onions all day though; it doesn't usually, but I had Lee cut up the onion for me the night before (I HATE cutting onions) and had it sitting in the fridge all night, I think it got extra smelly from that :-) If you try the recipe, let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Sounds really good! With 2 lbs of ground beef, you must have lots of leftovers, lol! I usually use 1 lb for the two of us and have leftovers! Hey if you're not busy tomorrow, wanna go to the Market Day thingy-ma-bob w/ me? Should be fun:) I'll give you a call in the a.m:)

CCsMom said...

This is from your Grandma Krusckhe. I still really enjoy it. I make it half, but use every bit as much cheese -- YUM, cheese!

Hope you are having a great day over on Okinawa!!!

adifrog said...

I let my mom borrow the recipe book you made me, and she made this for the first time recently. She loved it!