Sunday, April 13, 2008

Lost in Translation

Lee and I went to Subway for lunch today (which we've been doing a lot lately...but it's probably the healthiest option for eating out at least). They couldn't toast subs today because, according to the sign on their toaster oven, it was "Out of Control." We got a giggle out of that, so I thought I'd share.

I just went in the bathroom to wash my hands (Lee thinks I'm OCD about hand washing, but at least it's something healthy to be OCD about) and I saw a gecko that was at least 4 or 5 inches long. I screeched a little just because it scurried and it's always startling to see something scurry when you don't expect anything to be there, but I relaxed when I realized what it was. I don't mind having geckos in the house since they eat bugs! They also laugh--it's an odd noise, kind of hard to explain, but I hear them fairly often especially in the evenings. At least they're cheerful!

Remember the Ugly Card? The one I hated? Well, I gave that color combination another shot since it has the indecency to appear TWICE on the official Color Challenge List, and this is the result:

I like this one a whole lot better than my previous attempt! I've figured out the secret to this color combination...use as little Bravo Burgundy as possible!! It's just so dark that it's hard to work with and it makes things ugly. Not like black, a lot of cards are all the better for a little pop of black. BB is just ugly. But I like my heavy-on-the-Pumpkin Pie card. That's the name of the color, Pumpkin Pie...although I'd like it to be the name of my dinner...I didn't get any pumpkin pie last Thanksgiving and I looooove that. :)

5 comments:

Crafty Math Chick said...

Pretty card Christy! You actually inspired me...to make sweet potato casserole, LOL! This color combo reminds me of sweet potatoes (burgundyish (is that a word?) outside, orange inside). It is in the oven now, I'd invite you over for some, but Germany is a bit of a trek.

I liked your gecko story. I used to see them now and then when we were stationed in Las Vegas at Nellis. I don't recall them ever making noise, just kind of staring at me with their little mouths open. Maybe they just didn't want to serenade me. :)

Hope your Sunday is happy! Beware of Out of Control toasters!

~Meredith

Shannan Teubner said...

This is sooo pretty!

lizguidry said...

Ok so this card is the UGLIEST card I've ever seen. I mean, who in the world would want an entire orange card?!?! ME, OF COURSE! hehehe.

I'm just giving you a hard time :) You know I love your cards, especially the orange ones.

So does the geckos laughing make you think they are laughing AT you? Are you sure it's not the voices in your head again...oh wait...that's me with the voices...

Miss you girl!

Joan and Amy said...

I have a cousin who has been living in Taiwan for a number of years and she is always mentioning funny signs that she see. English is just so hard!!! Love this card...it's so vibrantly orange. Joan

CCsMom said...

Hey, Kik! I told you geckos were a vocal lot. Hey, how can you not like a species that goes through life laughing all the time?!!! Sure do miss you, but checking on your blog keeps me in touch. Hope your Subway's toaster oven is now "back in control". Hee Hee! Dontcha just love it? It's those little things . . . love ya! Mom