Saturday, April 19, 2008

Orchid Opulence

Lee and I went to lunch yesterday with a group of people at this restaurant that's up on top of a hill on a golf course. I got Lee to take this picture, it's so much prettier in real life...we'll have to go back to the restaurant so we can take some more and try to capture the beauty a little better. We were in a little bit of a hurry since Lee had to get back to work after lunch.


Here's a closeup shot of one of the flowering bushes lining the sidewalk...what is this, an azalea? Or am I making that up? Whatever it is, I like it! I love bright pink, and it's pretty cheerful around here with all the flowers. I love flowers, I just don't know too much about what they're all called and how not to kill them. :p


Speaking of flowers, look what Lee brought home for me last night! Kind of an icky picture I know...


Some of those orchids I did so love at the Make Man store!! Lee said that the ladies at the commissary where he got this were giving him grief and talking about how sweet he was to be buying flowers for me and that if he weren't already married, then they'd marry him. Lee seems to get picked on and teased by the older English-speaking Japanese ladies that work in the stores around here, which I think is funny :) But they don't do it as much if I'm there...


A closeup of one of the flowers. I love how the bottom of it curls up like an old man's beard...


I'm having a Georgia O'Keeffe moment here! I'm going to have to look up orchids online and figure out how to care for these so I don't kill them...and just in case I do end up killing them (I leave behind me a long trail of dead plants) I'm going to have to take these flowers outside somewhere and take lots of pictures of them. Are they not the gorgeousest-most flowers you've ever seen?

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

Those are azaleas -- I thought of getting some for the house, but Joann told me they don't last very long here . . . but YOU, on the other hand, are in the tropics and it's prime conditions for all the beautiful flowering plants. I've never seen hibiscus grow to such heights anywhere else but in Okinawa. The one outside of our house was above the roof line! -- Mom

CCsMom said...

Oh yeah -- I see the ocean in this picture. We are still scratching our heads as to how you and Lee could be on Okinawa for two to three weeks and NOT see the ocean (or sea). We think that is impossible. Maybe you had your eyes closed. I just love that, though -- so beautiful, peaceful. Can't wait to see it again! -- Mom