Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pumpkin Cookies

I'm starting to get a little famous at Lee's work for my cookies...I have lots of practice making them :) Anyway, this is my favorite cookie recipe, and since it's pumpkin it's different than what everyone else makes for potlucks and such. So here it is!

Macadamia Nut White Chip Pumpkin Cookies (or Pumpkin Cookies for short)

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom or cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup pumpkin puree (look for Libby's solid pack pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie mix since that already has the spices in it)
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups white chips
2/3 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts, toasted (I don't toast them, I'm lazy)

In a small bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, cardamom, and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Beat in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture; stir in white chips and nuts.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto greased baking sheets. Flatten the cookies slightly with the back of a spoon prior to baking at 350 for 11 to 14 minutes, or until centers are set. Allow them to cool for 2-3 minutes on cookie sheet, and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

You can also make bars with this recipe; mix it all as above and then spread into a greased 11x15 glass baking dish, and bake at 350 for 18 to 22 minutes. The ground cardamom is fairly expensive, $10 or so for a bottle, but substituting the ground cloves for cardamom doesn't really affect the taste any. I've made them both ways. These cookies will stay nice and moist for days if you store them in an airtight container with wax paper between the layers; they stick together if you don't use the waxed paper. If you try the recipe, let me know how you like it!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Daaaaaang!!! You're straight EVIL! I'm so gonna have to make these this weekend, I started salivating just reading the name of the cookies! Thanks for nothing!;)

Debbie said...

Mmmmmm! Sounds gooooood! I LOVE pumpkin cookies! Problem is...no one else I know does! So when I make 'em...I EAT 'em!! ALL!

I've seen you a lot on SCS and LOVE your work!! ;) LOVE your blog too!! I've added you to my sidebar! I'll be checking back often!

Crafty Math Chick said...

Thanks for the recipe - I love making cookies and can't wait to try them sometime.

~Meredith

lizguidry said...

Ummm....you know these are my all-time favorite cookie since the first day you made them for me! I may have to try to make them myself, but I bet they won't be as good as yours...

Miss you!