Thursday, April 24, 2008

Shikina-En

Ok, I'm later than I said I would be in posting these pictures from Shikina-En. I've been procrastinating...and we've been busy looking for a second car so I can actually have WHEELS during the day! Yay! I may actually get to start going to the gym on a regular basis.

Anyway, here are some pictures from Shikina-En. I may post some others later when I go through them more, I just realized almost all the ones I'd picked out where kinda the close up shots of flowers and stuff, which is apparently something I gravitate towards. But this first one is me and my Sexy Hubby in front of the banya, or guard house. This building was right at the entrance to the garden; there was a smaller building on the other side that was much smaller but kind of the same style. It had those sliding door/walls that have the rice paper inserts (like what Lee thought we'd have in *our* house, silly person) so pretty much the whole wall moved. We looked closely at it and realized that in addition to the door panels, they had a whole wall of solid wood panels that could be closed outside of the fragile rice papery ones. It was really neat how it worked, each panel was about the width of a doorway and they slid in a track. They were all on the right side of the "wall", one in front of the other--the track is shaped like an L with a really long top piece and a really short bottom piece. So to put up the "wall", you just slid one of the panels down the track all the way to the left. Then you could move the next panel into place, and so on and so forth until you had a whole wall of wood panels. Awfully handy when a typhoon hits, I can imagine the damage that a typhoon could do to all that fragile rice paper. Pretty ingenious.


In case you're curious, the Disney character on my purse is Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. :) She's my personal favorite Disney villain, although Mom likes Cruella DeVil better. Anyway, I digress. This garden didn't have a whole lot of flowers really. It was mostly a lot of trees and a big pond with turtles and koi in it. But they did have a lot of these, in orange and yellow and some that were pink and white.


I have no idea what this big spiky flower thing is but I liked the looks of it. I tried to take a close-up picture on one of those blooms, but it turned out real fuzzy. Lee and I are thinking we need to get a better camera...both a DSLR and a better point-and-click. It'd be a shame to be living in Japan and not have a great camera to capture it all!


This dragonfly was perched on the top of the spiky thing, and he just didn't move the whole time we were taking pictures. I think it took us at least a half dozen to get one that actually focused on him, and he just sat there like "I'm ready for my close-up!" We did have to get the camera pretty darned close to him to take the picture.


I saw several butterflies and some bees, but this moth was the only one who would sit still long enough for me to take his picture. Still, I think I got four pictures of him, so not so bad. Hey, even the insects are cooperating with me!


More pictures soon.

3 comments:

lizguidry said...

Christy - LOVE the pics of the flowers you took. I wish I were there to take a picture for myself - I would be in HEAVEN!!! I can't wait to see the scrapbook pages for these. You know I'm way ahead of you on that challenge, but of course you've got me beat on cards........
Love you!

Joan said...

I love your pictures of the insects....Very cool. Joan

Debbie said...

Wow! These are KEWL pictures!!! I would never get CLOSE ENOUGH to the bugs to take pics....but they are really cool!!! The colors of the flowers are so beautiful too!