Monday, May 26, 2008

Uphill BOTH Ways!

As promised, here are some pictures from our trip to Hiji Falls, which is up at the north end of the island. Right after you pay your admission, you walk up a little sidewalk and come up to this:


Really pretty, huh? The one thing it needs less of, though is spiders...


We saw a lot of them on our hike. It's about 1.5 km out to the falls, and then you have to turn around and walk all the way back. I told my parental units this is one tourist spot they'll probably want to skip while they're here in September. It's a lot of up and down hiking and steep steps--the whole path is lined and a lot of it is planked over with wood, and they've made regular staircases for you to climb. But good grief, CLIMB you do! My legs are so sore today! But here's what you see when you get towards the end of the hike.


This is just the smaller waterfall before you get to the big one. And although this waterfall isn't exactly super tall like Angel Falls in Venezuela (the world's tallest waterfall), it's still beautiful. Lee took all the pictures yesterday, so he played around some with shutter speed and got a few where the water droplets were frozen in midair, and then some where it's much softer (and actually looks closer to real life).


They have warnings all over at the beginning of the park I guess you'd call it, you're not allowed to go swimming here because so many people have drowned. There are large rocks everywhere and I could easily imagine someone slipping on one...well, I wasn't the least bit inclined to take a dip anyway, although it might have been a nice way to cool off. We were lucky, it was in the low 80s and overcast yesterday, but the humidity was terrible. It would have been twelve times worse if the sun had been beating down on the island, though. If you believe that old line about horse sweat and glowing ladies, then I could have lit up an entire pro sports arena by myself. Ick!


This last shot is the one Lee liked the best; he just had to go have it printed off yesterday to see what it would look like. They have some odd picture sizes though, he got a 10x14 and I thought for sure 11x14 was standard? Whether or not I'm right, the picture looks a bit oddly proportioned the way they printed it, so I think I'll order another one online in the right size. I shrunk these pictures down a little bit so they'd load easier on the webpage, but if you click on them you'll see the larger version. More in a minute.

1 comment:

CCsMom said...

Looks like angel hair -- that spun glass stuff that people use to decorate at Christmas. The water looks so cool and clean. But yeah, I know what you mean about spiders -- and they have some humongous ones in Okinawa. I don't guess you saw any banana spiders? They are black with their joints a bright yellow. Pretty interesting. Maybe you'll lose some of your fright of spiders being there -- at least for the tiny ones?!!!