Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bats in the Belfry

Ok, I'm finally posting the bat pictures. Lee just uploaded them on the computer yesterday but I didn't get a chance to post until this morning.


These are the only two pictures that came out ok...Lee had a third one where their eyes reflected the flash back, but he deleted it because he said he thought that they were busy...making baby bats. ;)


If I remember right, these are red fox bats and they eat bugs. Seems like most of the critters on this island either ARE bugs or they EAT bugs, heh. (Speaking of bug-eaters, we saw our gecko friend Buddy in the house again the other day). We see the bats flying around a lot around twilight since that's usually when they go out for dinner. Some of them get to be pretty big, maybe around the size of ravens or so? Here's an interesting bat-related fact for you: when you see "vampire bats" in the movies, they aren't really vampire bats. Vampire bats are really pretty small (could easily fit in your hand) so usually filmmakers will use larger fruit bats 'cause they look better and scarier. The things I learn from reading the movie trivia on www.imdb.com...

Yesterday Lee also edited my white orchid photos, he got them to be not-so-blue and edited out some gray spots on the flowers. I looooooooooooove that one I took at an angle, it looks just fabulous now--I'm gonna have to get that one printed out in a humongous size so I can hang it in my craft room :)

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

Scary! Bats just freak me out. Must be from that Dracula movie I saw when I was a kid -- the one that made me cover my head to sleep at night. Did that for YEARS afterwards. Wow. Is this tree very close to your house? I hope Lee was using a very long ZOOM lense. Hee hee!

Anyway, have a wonderful week! -- Mom

Lee said...

It was set at 150mm, manual focus....yes it's highly zoomed!

It was too dark to catch them in flight. I'll have to try that when it's about 6pm and see what I get.

Lori said...

Yikes. I don't think that I would like to be out at night when they are hungry. Good pictures, though.