Friday, September 12, 2008

Scrappin' Fool

The day after I posted about the typhoon heading our way, we woke up to find that it had shifted course overnight to pass to the west of us. We're still getting a lot of rain (which we need), but it shouldn't affect my parents' travel plans (which would have been bad). We'll have to rearrange our activities a bit though, it's going to be too rainy to take my parents to the botanical gardens tomorrow. But at least they shouldn't have a problem getting here!

So I've been working like a mad lady trying to get my Japan scrapbook caught up before my parents get here. I've still got six pages left to do (which I don't think I'll finish today, heh) but I did make a lot of progress. So here's a few layouts I've done:


This will be the first layout in the scrapbook, just some of my thoughts from our first few months here. I need to order a Really Rust craft ink pad so I can stamp the dragons along the top; for right now they're just on scratch paper placeholders.


I like these pages, I wasn't sure about having that much white at first but I like how it turned out. I think the only thing I'd change is to make the hot pink flowers larger, especially in the upper left. I love the new SU blue color, Pacific Point--perfect for these pictures!!


Ahh, my orchids. I do so love that white orchid picture. For some reason, Orchid Opulence and Handsome Hunter are two of the least popular colors according to a bunch of Splitcoasters, which I don't understand since I like 'em both. They can be a little hard to work with I guess, you have to put them with the right colors to make them look good. But it turns out that Orchid Opulence really *does* match real-life orchids, and the hunter green border on this just finishes the page in my opinion. This is one of those rare layouts that turns out pretty much exactly how I imagined it would...


And here's my Ryukyu Glass Factory layout. I think I might have made the background just a teeny bit too busy, I got carried away :) I think I should have done the title in Taken with Teal instead of Tempting Turquoise, but the page kind of evolved a little differently than I thought it would. Liz, this one is from p. 37 in the sketches book.


This one for the glass shop is a bit more understated. I used black as my page base to make the colors on the glass really pop. This one started out as the sketch on p. 64 but I just couldn't crop the three glass photos on the left.


And there's the card I made to put in my parents' hotel room when they get here tonight! Thanks to the buy/sell/trade boards on Splitcoast, I actually have a stamp with kokeshi dolls on it! And now I really need to get off the computer and start mopping the floors...

3 comments:

The Henry Crew! said...

Wow - I'm applauding your pages, girl - beautiful! Have fun with your parents! How is your masters program going?

Giffysk8s said...

Your layouts look great! Is there anything you can't do?!! And I love the card you made for your parents. What a sweet idea!

Amber said...

Yes I do! Sounds like a date! How did the send off go? Sorry I didnt' get to meet your parental units, hope you guys had a blast:)