Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Card Retrospective

I told my mom that I wasn't going to post anything new till someone commented on the last post, so she wrote something just to make me post more. I think I'm cranky since I'm trying to get over the cold Amber so kindly shared with me :p I've got some pictures *somewhere* on the computer from when Lee and I visited some castle ruins a few weeks ago, but I can't find them so you'll have to wait to see those till he tells me what happened to them. So for now we're going to have a Christmas card retrospective...2008 is the fifth year that I've made my own Christmas cards, so here's a walk down memory lane.


My first handmade Christmas card from 2004. I pretty much copied it straight out of that year's Stampin' Up! catalog except I didn't use any brads on it like their sample did. You can tell from the crooked sentiment that I had yet to discover the joys of the Stamp-a-ma-jig, but hey, I'd only been stamping for a few months at this point. The image was colored with watercolor pencils, which takes a while when you're doing over 50 cards, but then again I've never really considered time intensity when designing my Christmas cards -rolls eyes at self- so I come up with some crazy design that takes forever to make, and then put all this pressure on myself to make a jillion of them. Hah.


2005's Christmas card...I think this one was prettier in real life than the scan makes it look. The tree was stamped in green on green paper, then the swoopy swirly decoration was embossed in gold. I think I know why I have trouble with pain in my right hand now--I cut out like 80 of those trees that year! I remember it scared Chewie when I was setting eyelets because it was loud and involved a hammer...luckily I now have a Crop-a-dile so I can set them silently and not scare any doglets.


I procrastinated a little bit too much in 2007 so I had to make something that was quick to put together, and Lee actually helped me with these. The "merry!" part is stamped with red craft ink and embossed with Iridescent Ice EP so it's glittery in real life. The card opens in the center; the bottom is folded up and held in place with brads, forming a pocket for my annual Christmas letter.


We were in Texas last year from August through December, so I wanted to do a more Western type Christmas card (and it was a good excuse to buy this stamp set which I always wanted anyway). Mom said they weren't Christmasy enough because no red, no green--I said bah humbug, it says "Merry Christmas" big as life on the front so there nyeh. The horses were colored in with chalks. I'd wanted a "Merry Christmas Y'all" stamp but couldn't find one last year; my sister-in-law Adrienne is sending me one this year so next time I want Western Christmas cards I'll be all set.


And then here's this year's card again, which you've already seen a couple posts back. So which one is your favorite of the five? And am I getting better as the years go by?

Like I said earlier, I do have some non-stamping pictures to share if only I knew where they were on the computer. And on Thursday Lee and I are heading up to Tokyo for several days' vacation, so we'll have *tons* of pictures to share after that. I'm drinking as much orange juice as I can trying to get over this cold before we leave, can you imagine me sneezing my way through Tokyo for five days? We plan to go to Tokyo Disneyland on Friday and I definitely want to be feeling 100% for that. I have a feeling that rollercoasters wouldn't be good when added to head congestion...wish me luck! And leave some comments or I'm never blogging again! :p

P.S. If you don't get a Christmas card from me this year, it's because I don't have your address. So if you want one, email me!

13 comments:

Liz Guidry said...

Are you actually ASKING to make more Christmas cards by soliciting addresses?!?! Weren't 50 cards enough!!!! I will be reminding you NEXT year why you have to make 75....hahaha!

Christy Lynn said...

Well, I have a few extra cards already done...and I've got like 30 extra roses already stamped. And yes, I am a glutton for punishment.

Amber said...

Well you have my address woman so I better see one!;)
You guys leave on Thursday? Did you need a ride to the airport or are you guys leaving from here? Either way, lemme know if there is anything I can do for you besides give you a cold:) Heehee, that's what friends are for, SHARING!!!
And btw, all five of your cards are fab but I really love this years cards. They're really classy and elegant:) Which brings me back to "I better get one!" :)

Stef H: (Illinois, US) said...

What a great blog you have. Thanks much for your kind comment on my bella card at SCS.

Even when you started doing your own Xmas cards, you can see your creativity shine thru. They are all gorgeous!

Stef H
(SCS: Glitterbabe)

Giffysk8s said...

Hmm...I like them all, but my vote goes for this year's, and not just because you're getting better! LOL I just LOVE the flower and the colors. And if you REALLY want to get rid of one...you can send one to me! :)
9 Danforth Lane
Bolton, MA 01740

HAVE FUN on your trip!

FiStevens said...

Christy Lynn, I love your style, I would never have thought to use these stamps for a Christmas card, but they are gorgeous. I know what you go through trying to get certain ingredients when you want them - they are not always available here either. I appreciate your comment on my card - I don't have anyone to stamp with here in Malaysia, so I use SCS and various blogs as inspiration. I am adding your blog into my favorites if that is ok.

Melissa A said...

I like this year's and 2007's cards the best.

I hope you get feeling better!
Love, Mel

Jess Willison said...

I like your last 2 years the best. It's funny how much our cards evolve over the years!

Worm's Woman said...

Well I was super happy to add another one to my collection this week! Holly was very impressed when I showed her the mail, told her you made it and that it came all the way from Japan.

Lee said...

Hey now!!! I helped with that very first x-mas card with the watercoloring...mostly because you wouldn't let me paint on the white walls with the pens but hey, I didn't complain...much.

nitestamper said...

wow!!!!!great job on these cards !!!!!I really like the 2004 card, very pretty design !!!!!!!
tfs:)
chat

Amber said...

Haha, Lee, your watercoloring is FAB!

HeathersHobby said...

I love the 2004 card. Great vintage look.