Sunday, December 14, 2008

Oh, FUDGE!

So last week Lee and I were talking about what we might do for the people who work in his office, and I suggested I make some cookies 'n' creme fudge. Normally I don't do much fudge, I prefer brownies and cookies, but this white fudge recipe is delish. Only one problem: they have NO white chocolate at the grocery stores here! I checked the one close to us and then dragged Lee to another American grocery store about 20 minutes away and they didn't have it either. I know the Japanese stores wouldn't have it because most Japanese houses don't even have ovens, they don't bake.

Arrrgh!! K, so, instead of cookies 'n' creme fudge, I'm making three double batches of regular fudge, one with marshmallows, one with walnuts, and one with peanut butter chips. The recipes I'm using are on the side of the Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk cans so I won't bother typing them here. I don't think I'd recommend doing double batches the way I am though simply because I thought my arm was going to fall off with all that stirring, and I still haven't done the peanut butter fudge yet.

Anyway, I'm going to share the cookies 'n' creme fudge recipe with you so maybe SOMEONE out there can make it this holiday season. And at the risk of sounding like JanTInk, I won't stop you if you want to send me some white chocolate so I can make it. After all, I bought a whole pack of Oreos for it, and if I can't make the fudge then I'll just have to eat all the cookies. The sacrifices I make, people. Really. So here's the super easy recipe that I got out of one of those little cookbooks that they sell at the supermarket checkout line, I *love* those things but Lee thinks I buy too many. I've actually done a couple recipes out of this one though, it's one that's all recipes using sweetened condensed milk that came out about two years ago. Oh yeah, recipe:

Cookies 'N' Creme Fudge

3 (6-ounce) packages white chocolate baking squares OR white baking squares (not sure what the difference is but ok? I thought 18 oz. white chips might work but they don't even have those right now)
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (they also have reduced fat and no-fat versions which will work just as well...at least they have those in the States, not here)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups coarsely chopped Oreos (about 20 cookies)

Line 8- or 9-inch square pan with foil and set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, melt baking squares with condensed milk and salt over low heat. When it's all melted, remove from heat and stir in cookies. Spread evenly in prepared pan and chill for 2 hours or until firm.

Turn fudge onto cutting board; peel off foil and cut into squares, or you can use a small round cookie cutter if you want it to look all fancy and stuff (it does look cute in the picture in my cookbook, but wouldn't that waste some of the fudge? That's no good!). Store tightly covered at room temperature, as if it's gonna last long enough to worry about how to store it :p

Here's a couple tips for you: use a little rubber spatula to get all the sweetened condensed milk out of the can. That stuff is pretty thick so you'll need to scrape to get it all out. Also, to prevent your cookies 'n' creme fudge from looking like mud fudge, put the chopped cookies in a strainer and shake it all about (doing the hokey pokey is up to you) to get all the crumbs out.

Oh yeah, this is all Arrie's fault, she's the one who mentioned fudge when we were talking one day last week and that's what gave me the idea to dust off that white fudge recipe. So I blame her :)

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

OK, I'm leaving a comment so you can continue -- since you said you wouldn't add to the blog until someone commented. Now go!

Mom

Liz Guidry said...

I would have commented, but I was out of town. I don't have excuses for your other blog followers...

Worm's Woman said...

sorry, couldn't comment...didn't read much about fudge...TRYING to eat better and this wouldn't help! hehe