Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tokyo Disney!

So we got to Tokyo just fine on Thursday. That night we were looking for a place to have dinner and the closest one in walking distance was doing an Italian buffet so we went for that...yeah, we're up in mainland Japan and we're eating Italian food. It was pretty cool though, they had a pasta bar run by these two guys where you choose your pasta, sauce, and topping, and they'd saute it for you in this little bitty pan, totally yummy!

Friday morning we got up *early* and walked out to the nearest train station to get ourselves to Tokyo Disney. We're staying a ways outside of Tokyo so it took us over an hour to get into town. Riding on a commuter train in Tokyo is not something I'd recommend if you have claustrophobia at all...when the train arrived and the doors opened, I thought how in the heck are we all going to fit in there? And then it just kept getting more and more packed at each stop. Mostly it was businessmen heading into work, and those who were lucky enough to have seats were sleeping. No one talks and you just pack in there like sardines. We managed to get to Tokyo station and switch trains for one that would take us to Disney--there's a train station right outside the park!

So we bought our tickets and what do you think was the first thing I did?


Yep, had my picture taken with Captain Jack Sparrow! This was the only character we had a photo taken with all day but hey, at least it was Captain Jack! The first ride we went on was Pirates of the Caribbean--last time we were at Disneyland, PotC was closed so they could add in Jack Sparrow, so I was excited to see it here. The animatronic Jack Sparrows look *just like* Johnny Depp in the movie, and there's this one part where they have a wall of smoke and they project Davey Jones onto it and your boat goes through it, so cool!!


There's us in line for the Haunted Mansion. They've got it all gussied up like Jack Skellington from the Nightmare Before Christmas has taken it over and tried to decorate it for Christmas. If the Haunted Mansion here normally looks like the one in Disneyland, then they do a LOT to it for Christmas, it's amazing. I've never been to a Disney park in the winter before so this was a new experience for me, I've only ever been in spring and summer so I loved seeing all the holiday decorations. Yes, they still do a lot of Christmas decorating here in Japan!


The Castle...Lee and I got a new point and shoot camera with a gift card my parents sent us for Christmas so this was our first trial of it. I think it takes pretty good pictures for a little bitty camera!


We saw a bunch of people in costume going into the castle for some kind of show but we didn't see the show...I'd love to have one of these ice princess costumes though, whaddya think? Can you imagine me going to the grocery store in this kind of outfit? Never would have a problem trying to think of a Halloween costume again...


The castle at night, pretty cool shot huh? Lee set the camera down on a rail to take the picture without it blurring.

The whole day I kept seeing everyone walking around in these funny hats and I kinda wanted one but I figured where else would you wear one but Disneyland? Plus Lee probably would want to walk on the other side of the street from me...


Isn't it cute? That one's a Stitch hat (from the Lilo & Stitch movies). They had all kinds of hats, mostly mouse ears in different colors--white, black, leopard print, polka dot, etc., plus some other ones like the Cheshire Cat and Tigger, both of which had tails on the side that come under your chin to fasten it.


There's Minnie. Those hats were only about $20-30 so I might be regretting the fact that I didn't get one...but I already have that cute lil ski hat (it is cute, right? Right?!) so that's why I resisted.


There's my honey! He's not happy with me for putting this picture on here but I like it so I put it on here anyway. Besides I was in a lot of the pictures in this post so he needed one of just him :)

Anyway, we went on Pirates of the Caribbean twice--the first and last rides of the day. I took Lee on It's a Small World After All but they were mostly singing Jingle Bells in different languages instead of the usual song so luckily I didn't have to hear Lee singing that song for the rest of the day. We went on Space Mountain *twice* and it was fabulous--I've never been on a roller coaster without having my hair up in a ponytail but this time it was free to just go woosh all over as we rode the coaster, so fun! :D The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was great too, and I was surprised that the little kiddie rides seemed to have longer lines than some of the roller coasters and stuff. The rides are just like the ones in Disneyland but in Japanese (half of Pirates was in English though). We watched the Tiki Room show and that was all in Japanese, it featured Stitch. The only part I understood was one of the birds cracked a joke about meeting the Big Kahuna and telling him Kahuna Matata, that one made it through the language barrier.

Tokyo Disney was pretty cool, I'd totally go back again next time we're up this direction. We didn't go to Disney Sea though, Lee said everyone who's been there has said it's a disappointment which I find hard to believe for a Disney park...one of these days we might go there so we can make our own decision on that one. Tokyo Disney was a fun start to our vacation but it tired us out so much we've pretty much spent all of Saturday just relaxing here at the hotel!

9 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Yes, Christy~your ski hat is darn adorable!

I LOVE Space Mtn! When my kids were little and we lived in LA, we went to Disneyland every year. They took me on Space Mtn multiple times. At first, I thought it was because they got a kick out of hearing me laugh/scream. As they got older, I realized that they really enjoyed the 3 days of silence that followed because I had screamed myself hoarse! LOL

Lee should be less photo shy. He is quite handsome!

CCsMom said...

I was sitting here laughing out loud -- that's my kid for sure. I know you are having a ball.

Wondering if you felt the earthquake that hit off-shore -- Dad says it was over a 6 on the scale. The one we had when you were born was a 5.5, so I know this one was a shaker!!!

Been thinking about you. Heading out to rake leaves and then meet Lee's folks for dinner at Anamia's!!! (Wish you were here, but I'm so glad you are having a ball!)

Love you -- Mom

CCsMom said...

Oh, one other thing -- was Captain Jack Japanese? -- Mom

Liz Guidry said...

Looks like you guys are enjoying yourself. I liked the Minnie hat!

Can't wait to see some more pics...

Sparkle said...

I'm glad you guys had a great time. You are the only person I know who would go grocery shopping in a ice princess dress, lol. But love the stitch hat!

Amber said...

Looks like a blast! Those castle pics are awesome, especially the night shot! AND of course I love the hats, they're SO you:)

Charisse said...

Looks like a nice start to the vacation.

I just like the fact that you used the word woosh in your blog!!! KUDOS!

Amber said...

When are you gonna be home sistah? I miss you! I have a movie for us to watch!!!

Amber said...

DUDE! Your new header is lookin awesome!!! I see you two kids figured it out;)