Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm Kicking Liz's Booty!

So Liz is the one who dragged me, kicking and screaming, into the scrapbook goals forum on Splitcoast. That means it's her fault that I've gotten all motivated to work on my scrapbooks and I'm leaving her in the dust now, right? ;) Anyway, this is what I've been up to for the last couple weeks, I'm at 14 pages for this year but I already posted my pages from Tedako Fest.


I have an 8x8 scrapbook of photos of my cross stitch projects, which is kind of a necessity since I give away most of what I make. Lately though I've been keeping more of it for myself...well, since I'm the one who spends hours making these things I figure I'm entitled to keep some of them. I've got a whole lineup of new projects for this year and several are for other people though. Anyway, these two are ones I kept, they were up in my office in North Carolina since I had no windows.


I found the patterns for both of these in a British cross stitch magazine--oddly enough, the British magazines generally blow the American ones out of the water, they have some of the most gorgeous things in them and a lot of LARGE projects which I like. The Santa piece is mine, it matches a cookie jar that my former boss and still good friend Allison gave me a couple years ago, and then I found some Christmas dishes at Target that match too. I've never had them all out though because all our Christmas stuff is in storage, but my mom had the Santa picture on display at her house (she's holding on to all my stitched pieces to keep them safe while I'm out here).

The peacock was part of Mom's Christmas present in 2007; it's actually the second one I've stitched for her. She had searched for *years* for a peacock pattern where its tail was all fanned out; for whatever reason, most cross stitch patterns seem to have the tail down like it is in this picture. I decided to go ahead and make her this one though because she wants to redecorate her kitchen with grapes and ivy, and I thought this peacock was just too good to pass up. Here's the first one I made her:


Looks *much* more impressive in real life, it's got metallic thread and a lot of shiny specialty thread in it. Even though I was living in North Carolina, I managed to get this to the man who does all our framing and my brother and SIL took her up to the shop on her birthday where she got totally surprised when they brought this out for her (the A-Team was in on the secret the whole time). Anyway, I almost hated to count those top four pages towards my scrapbooking goal for the month because they're so fast to make--once I have coordinating paper, it's a no brainer since the layout is always the same for each one. So I did some *real* scrapbook pages too.


Liz sent me the Buddha stamp, it's part of an acrylic stamp set she gave me. What better time to use a Buddha stamp?


I don't think I ever posted pictures from the beer festival here on the blog; it was last August. Lee and I went to Arin Krin, a.k.a. the Garlic House, with a group of friends for dinner and then we went out to the beer festival. It was a lot like the Tedako Fest--lots of people running around in kimonos, a rock concert, eisa dancing, etc., but with fewer kids and more beer. Fewer kids if you don't count Ree and Bennet, who won the inflatable swords in one of those carnival games where you throw darts at a board with balloons all over it. Never thought I'd need a beer glass stamp since I haven't had a beer since I was two (that was Dad's fault) but there it is!


I loved how this layout turned out; this was when Missy and I went on the tour of the kokeshi doll workshop and the ceramic studio where they make shishi dogs.


For the first time *ever* I scrapped photos that are less than a month old! This was our Christmas celebration from 2008--that Santa candy jar was our only holiday decoration since our tree and my humongous collection of Hallmark ornaments are all in storage. Mom sent me some pics from their Christmas stuff and I have the BESTEST EVER idea for how to scrap them, but I'm waiting because I need something I've got on order.

Anyway, I'm up to 14 pages for the year if you count the cross stitch ones, and my goal for January was only 10. So I'm smoking you Liz!!!

Tomorrow we're going on that whale-watching tour and it's my birthday...so if I get seasick, Ree will be taking pictures of whales while I yak over the side of the boat. I'm being mean to Liz because she wants him to take pictures of me feeding the fishes, she thinks that would make a great addition to my scrapbook. How rude!! I only use pictures that *I* like!!






You know I love you, Liz!!

6 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Christy, your pages are beautiful! You are kicking butt!

Your cross-stitch projects are stunning. I cross-stitch, too, and needlepoint. I hope you post more photos of your projects. I'd love to see them!

By the time you read this, it will be your birthday. So HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a great day! I'm really enjoying our cyber-friendship. :)

Liz Guidry said...

GRRRR! Ok, so you aren't THAT far ahead of me. I actually finished 3 pages tonight (although you'll have to see one LO at the end of the month), so that puts my total to 13.5. I'm right on your tails, woman!!! Mmmwwwaaahahaha!

I really am proud of all the work you've accomplished, eventhough I get jealous when you're ahead ;)

Liz Guidry said...

Oh yeah - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, eventhough you were mean to me on your blog :p

xoxo

Sankari W. said...

WOW! That is so impressive that you area already up to 14 pages! Totally inspiring! Beautiful layouts love them - was blown away that you stitched the peacock?? WOW! It looks like a painting!! Beautiful!!!
Best wishes,
Sankari :)

Liz Guidry said...

Uh-oh! I'm a half a page ahead of you now. *GASP*

CCsMom said...

Wow -- Robin has GOT to see this. She was using the book I made of your wedding to show her friends and said it looked "professional". But it's NOTHING NEAR what you produce. I am amazed. GORGEOUS. I love how you use the different fonts for the page titles -- the beer pages look especially super.

Well, shoot -- no whales spied whatsoever. That's a major bummer. Maybe next year . . . Did you yak?

Love you, Mom