Monday, February 23, 2009

Christine's Keepsakes

Several weeks ago, there was a challenge on Splitcoast to make a scrapbook page layout to donate to Project Christine's Keepsakes. Christine was a mom to four young kids, and she died last year of a heart attack at the age of 35. Some of her friends have stepped in and started this project to get all of her photos scrapped as a gift to her family. I don't do too well with creating pages without particular photographs, so I emailed the coordinators and got some pictures to work with. Here's what I made:

These are Christine's 3-year-old twins (I put the white circles over their faces because they're not my kids and I figure it's only polite not to put other people's kids' photos on the Internet without asking them). This one came together really quickly; I took my colors from the twins' PJs, looked for a sketch and boom, done. I really, really liked this one, maybe because of the bright colors.

These are photos from when the twins were born and this layout just gave me so much more trouble than the other one. I had a hard time picking colors and finally decided on Pink Pirouette and Almost Amethyst, but I think I should have used a darker purple on here. Then I couldn't find any flowers in a color that would go with everything else, so finally I just picked some that are a very pale blue and called it done. These will go in the mail to the project coordinators later today.

On a more cheerful note, I also scrapped MY kids' Halloween costumes from last year. Remember Mom sent me bee and ladybug costumes for them? I was mean and made Vader the ladybug since Sadie's nickname has always been Bee. Anyway, this one is for the doglets' scrapbook.

I had so many pictures that I liked from Halloween that I made a second layout for our regular Okinawa scrapbook. I lucked out in finding stamps of a bee and a ladybug that were about the same size and style (they came from different stamp sets) so I used them on both these layouts. I usually don't do white or vanilla backgrounds for my pages, but I tried several colors and nothing was working for me so vanilla got the job after all. I'm always paranoid I'm going to get a big smudge on such light colored paper because you know it's gonna show up if you get *anything* on it. I was careful enough that I managed to get this layout done and into page protectors without major mishap.

Last weekend was VSN (Virtual Stamp Night) on Splitcoast, which means two days of fun challenges. I got to be a hostess this time, so my challenge was to make a card inspired by a quote, any quote, from The Princess Bride. I think people had a lot of fun with it; we ended up with a good-size gallery of cards which you can see right here. This was one of my samples which was inspired by the song that plays over the closing credits (which I suppose isn't technically a quote, but hey!) Love the combination of Pink Pirouette and Baja Breeze, and seems like I've been using a lot of Close to Cocoa lately (the mats are actually a medium brown, not black).

Anyway, the rest of this week is going to be pretty busy and I still need to write my last paper for the class I'm finishing up, plus register for my next two classes. No rest for the wicked. Have a great day!

3 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

First of all, I am just so moved and in tears over the scrapbook pages for Christine's kids. Is it too late to help? I'm going to o check it out.

I am ROFL~in a very good and dog-loving way~over the Halloween layouts. SO ADORABLE!

Love the Princess Bride card!

Maybe no rest for the wicked, but hopefully for the wickedly creative and entertaining!

Amber said...

Great job on those layouts Christy! I can't imagine how hard it would be to make pages for someone you don't even know. You did it beautifully:) I love the pages of your kids too, they are too cute, especiallly "don't bug me" LOL! Cute!
How you been sistah? Long time no hear from! Is there a movie we need to see this weekend? I'm sure there is something we can do!
Have a good night!

CCsMom said...

I'm still cracking up about the picture where Sadie is leaning AWAY from you when she's dressed up. It is just too funny -- a subtle way of telling you, "Hey, I really am mad at you for doing this to me!" Anyway, off to work, but since the computer was on, I had to see if you had a new post. Talk to you tonight? Love ya, kiddo! -- Mom