Monday, February 9, 2009

Orchid Festival, Part 1

On Sunday, Lee and I went up to Nago for the International Orchid Festival held at the Tropical Dream Center (a.k.a. the Flower Tower, which is what I call it).

I'd been wanting to go to the Flower Tower ever since we took my parents to the aquarium--they're both in Ocean Expo Park, which is a much larger complex than we thought at first. We parked in the very southern end of it this time, near an arboretum and some kind of thing like a miniature golf course only the people all had mallets, but it wasn't croquet? Anyway, we had to walk over a kilometer to get to the Flower Tower but hey, we needed the exercise, especially since I haven't been to the gym due to my cold (which is finally starting to abate somewhat).

We put the macro lens on the camera and I started taking pictures before we even got our tickets to go into the orchid festival. Lee was keenly interested in checking out how all the flowers are planted, trying to figure out what we can do better since all of the orchids we have are looking pretty sad. He did get some tips from a couple of people.

Orchids come in more colors than a big box of Crayolas, and all different shapes and sizes too, from teeny ones the size of my fingernail to humongous flowers the size of my face. There are several different types of orchids, like Phalaenopsis (these ones above, this is the type that all my plants are and it's still my favorite variety), Vanda, Dendrobium, Cattleya and a bunch of others.

I like all the pattern differences too, some of them have freckles or spots or stripes. This was one of Lee's favorite pictures, I took this one not too long before we left actually. Lee was extremely patient with me taking a zillion pictures of the flowers...we had about 250 pictures taken on the big camera, and there are some on the point and shoot too that I haven't even looked at yet. I've managed to pare down the original 250 pictures to about 75 so far :D This may have to be a scrapbook all on its own....uh-oh, more work!

I could say I love the white ones, but I also love the purple ones and the yellow ones and all the other ones too.

Lee thinks I should start trying to sell some of these photographs, and I can kind of imagine notecards made out of this, what do you think? Just so you know, the only editing that's been done to these pictures is shrinking 'em a little bit to make them faster to upload on here.

I think it's safe to say I got a lot of practice with the macro lens this weekend. I'm getting a little more comfortable with adjusting the F-stop and white balance and stuff, maybe one of these days I'll remember how to do all that stuff without asking Lee first.

I like how the petals curl under on the bottom of this one.

Every time I see this picture, Flight of the Bumblebee starts going through my head. That or Ride of the Valkyries. It's kind of funny how some of the flowers look like bugs or birds or people.

I think this is the acid-wash orchid :)

I like taking pictures of flower trios. Must be that thing they teach you in scrapbooking, the eye is attracted to odd-number groups and visual triangles.

Another trio...I like how the center is a different color than the petals. And the yellow flowers just bring a bit of sunshine in.

I think this is a Cattleya? Larger blossoms that look kinda ruffly.

Another Flight of the Bumblebees flower, this time with purple freckles.

I actually took this photo just after we went in the exhibit, they had potted orchids lining the hallway to the first exhibit room so we hadn't even really gotten to the ones that were on show and I was already taking pictures :) This one's got spattergroit (and if you haven't read Harry Potter, you have no clue what I'm talking about).

I'll pick out a few more fun photos to share with you later this week, and I'll take a look at what's on the little camera and see if any of those are any good. I know there are a couple of interesting things on that one; I was using the small camera to do pictures from farther away so we wouldn't have to change out the macro lens every five minutes on the big camera.

If I can ever get my pictures from this year printed off (I'm having technical difficulties with my online photo developer for some reason) then my 2009 scrapbook will be off to a floral beginning. I'm still only halfway done with my 2008 book and Liz is kicking my booty this month--she's finished 9 pages already and I haven't done a single one thanks to my cold. So now I need to get in gear and start scrappin'....as soon as I make a bunch of birthday cards! Dude, everyone I know who wasn't born in October was born in February!

4 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Christy, you are REALLY good at taking photos! Your macro lens is great! I use mine all of the time, though I still mess up with the F stop and white balance~so I usually chicken out and use the auto setting. I know, I know~that means I am not a real photographer. My dad would be so bummed! (He had his own darkroom and knew everything there is to know about photography. Too bad I didn't listen!).

I know that you love the smell of a new box of crayolas. SInce these look like crayolas, do they smell like them, too? :)

I like the acid wash photo best~I think because of the almost translucent look of the petals. Lee is right~you could definitely sell these! They'd make beautiful cross-stitch/needlepoint patterns, too!

Liz Guidry said...

Beautiful photos! Looks like you had a fun time.

Dustythemomhaskins said...

OK so these are way more than amazing. How cool for yall to get to experience this. There are 2 that I absolutely love. WOW, love these things and totally see them on some of your cards. So what are you waiting on get to making.

Liz Guidry said...

I forgot to say that the flower tower reminds me of the leaning tower of Pisa.