Monday, March 16, 2009

Road Trip!

On Saturday we had icky weather *again* and didn't hold out too much hope for improved conditions on Sunday, but luckily we were wrong--Sunday was gorgeous!! Cool and breezy and sunny. So we *finally* got to do our road trip up to Cape Hedo, but today's pictures aren't from the cape. We haven't sorted through those pictures and converted them to jpegs yet so instead I have some pictures we took on the way to Cape Hedo using our little camera.

It takes about three hours to get to Cape Hedo from where we are, and for a good portion of the way Highway 58 parallels the East China Sea. The colors on the water were gorgeous so when we saw a good place to stop we did (there are a bunch of little places to park alongside the highway, either for fishermen, surfers, or random picture-takers like us). So here's a couple pictures!

Bennet and Missy (yes, that's who the teeny tiny people are). If we enlarge this photo to poster size you might be able to tell that it's them, ha. I was trying to get some more of the scenery in the shot.

Lee's and my turn out on the big honkin' rock, flashing the obligatory peace sign. (Yes, Mom, we were extremely careful while climbing around on the rocks!)

Oops, forgot to take the camera off zoom when we did this self-portrait. Well, I think it's kinda goofy and fun so I'm posting it here anyway :) I'm going to get my hair cut again this afternoon, it's starting to get a bit shaggy.

This is the other side of the highway from where we were taking pictures of the ocean. We think that the concrete stuff is to keep erosion at bay, but it looks pretty weird how the waffle pattern follows the contours of the hill almost like it melted. So of course now I have to call them concrete hill waffles.

A random photo of the back of Lee's shirt :) I think I've mentioned that we both have quite the wardrobe of Eskimo Joe's clothes (I'm wearing my 1999 EJ's St. Patrick's Day shirt right now!) and this is one my mom sent to Lee since he's a Superman fan (this gift predated me calling him Clark Kent because of the glasses).

So anyway, we made that one stop to take some pictures and then had lunch at Okuma, the resort that's about 24 km south of Cape Hedo. I had a chicken parmigian sandwich, which I thought was kind of odd...tasted good, but a funky idea. It's a piece of breaded chicken with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese on it served on a hamburger bun (I took off the pickles and lettuce because that was just too weird on chicken parmigian...and I hate pickles). Then we continued on up to Cape Hedo, but we need to sort through the pictures and see how many good ones we got. It sure was a pretty day to go road tripping!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

ETA: I almost forgot to post about Tiny Task Tuesday this week, where you're supposed to try to do at least one little thing to be nice to someone or to make the world a better place. So anyway, yesterday I made a double batch of cookies for a fundraiser that was held today (and in the spirit of Not Me Monday, I so did NOT have to do two batches to make up for the fact that I always eat a ton of lemon cookies when I make them), and last week I sent a little present to a friend of mine but I think it's taking its sweet time getting to the recipient since I haven't heard yet that the person got it. :p And tonight was my first class of the new term (I'm taking Research Methods in International Relations right now, later I start Intercultural Relations) and one of the other ladies in the class doesn't have her textbook yet, so I lent her mine. I've had mine for almost two weeks so I've been getting ahead on the reading (I'm about five weeks ahead...) and I told her that if her book doesn't get here quickly we can just share mine until it does arrive. So there's my tiny tasks this week.

And those lemon cookies are goooooooooooood. Super easy too: you combine a Betty Crocker lemon cake mix, a half cup vegetable oil, and two eggs, then drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet (and try not to eat the cookie dough). Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes, cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes and then remove to wire racks to cool completely (and try not to eat all the warm cookies). Frost with a tub of lemon frosting (and try not to eat all the frosted cookies until you share with someone else). Totally yummy. And addictive. Which is why I can't make them very often, I'd gain a zillion pounds.

7 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

What a beautiful day! The pix make me envious.

Janet said...

wow looks like you had a great day!!!
hugs

Charisse said...

I have a question about stamping - by the way i looove the pictures. That sealine is beautiful.

Do you have any cupcake stamps?

charisse said...

I am thinking I might have to commission you to make me some kind of cards with cupcakes or something. I am super obsessed with all things cupcake.

Neelu said...

I caught up! Your hair looks fantastic! =) And your pics are always so fantastic!

~Neelu

Charisse said...

I wanna..I wanna....(Looove the spice girls) I dunno any birthdays coming up. I dunno what I want them for. I like yellow and pink. Those are my new (like for the last several years) favorite colors. But I looove every color. And your cards always look so cute. Mostly, any cards that I get nowadays are either thank you cards, thinking of you cards, or juts blank cards to send pictures home to my family.

I am so excited to see Neelu leaving you a comment. Tell her I said hello!!!

Worm's Woman said...

I'm behind on reading....I too love the pics and have major envy.
I will have to make those cookies, but probably late one night so I can resist eating them for the rest of the day, HA!