Friday, May 15, 2009

The One-Day Baby Book

I told Liz I made a 20-page baby book yesterday and she didn't believe me. She questioned my veracity. Imagine! So to prove that I was, in fact, telling the truth, I present photographic evidence. Once again, the colors are way off on these pictures...I need to figure out what's the best time of day to take pictures of my projects in my craft room. Note to self: it is not 4:30 in the afternoon or 10:00 at night.

This is for my friend Casey, whose baby shower is this Sunday. This book is really, really simple...I used a pack of K & Company patterned papers along with Stampin' Up! cardstock in Bashful Blue, Brocade Blue, Barely Banana, Groovy Guava, and Certainly Celery, plus a variety of retired stamp sets. Above are the first and last pages--there are teeny stars on the background of the last page, it might just be my favorite of the lot.

Pages two and three...after I did these two, I figured out that when cutting mats for 4x6 photos I ended up with a scrap that was a good size for journaling blocks, so after this almost all the journaling blocks are the same size. Which means these two pages don't fit exactly right with the rest of them, but I'll chalk it up to the learning process and rationalize that most other people would not even notice.

Pages four and five...I love that little onesie stamp that says "yeah baby" on it. I think it's the whole reason I bought the stamp set (A Little Love, if you're interested. It's long retired and I will not sell mine!) I used my SU heart punch for the first time on the right hand page, and sponged around the shapes a bit to make them stand out.

The background of this one is little trucks and cars, pretty cute for little boy stuff. The paper pack came with double sided papers, three sheets each of twelve designs. So I still have 16 pages left, but I may give them to Casey if she wants them for her own projects.

I love the little circus animals on this one, and I couldn't resist coloring in the elephant kind of pinkish. Pink elephants on parade...I also think it's hilarious that to this day, Lee finds the Pink Elephants part of Dumbo to be totally creepifying.

Cute little planes on the left and hearts on the right. The skinny strips are a leftover piece from cutting out photo mats, so I did pretty well about using up most of the scraps I created for this project. Can't do it again too much though because I'm running out of Groovy Guava, and I can't get more because it's retired. I didn't have a big stockpile of it in the first place since I was never in love with it like I am most of this year's In Colors (Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, Pacific Point, and now Tangerine Tango given my new-found fascination with orange...the only color I'm not totally in love with from this year's batch is Kiwi Kiss).

Alphabet blocks...I didn't want the pages to all look totally the same, but I also didn't want to complicate things unnecessarily. So I hope I struck the right balance between cute and simple. I didn't want to add too much in the way of embellishment because I wanted some of the patterned paper to show, and there's not a ton of space on an 8x8 page.

The colors on this photo are *so* off, it's not this bright or this orange in real life. Oh well.

This was one of my favorite patterns in the pack, it's all snails and bugs. Snails and bugs are only cute when they're cartoonized, not in real life. We have tons of snails stuck all over the house right now, ick. Just one of the hazards of living in Okinawa. I saw my next-door neighbor today and she asked me what makes the weird noise we hear all the time at twilight--that would be the laughing geckos :)

Last double-page spread, and it's the cow that jumped over the moon. I used an SU star punch, again sponging around the edges to make them stand out from the background a bit more. That shadow that's on the left page of every single picture is my arm, holding up the camera to take the picture. Maybe if I did my photography in the morning...

Anyway, I still have a lot to do so I shouldn't be hanging out here blogging. I've got to work on some employment paperwork (is it still paperwork if it's online?) and do research for a group presentation that I have to take part in tomorrow. Yeah, I haven't started researching yet and the presentation is tomorrow; I am the Queen of the Procrastinators (but I haven't been crowned yet, we keep putting it off). This is the last weekend of my Intercultural Relations class, then I have next weekend off and Lee gets back here late Saturday night (YAY!!!) and the last weekend of the month I start my International Political Economy class. And somewhere in there I need to finish the *other* baby book I started...

5 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Christy, I love it and I am sooo impressed that you did this is in a day! That paper pack is so stinkin' cute! She is going to love it! How could she not? I love that you used your paper so efficiently. I should think about saving all my little scraps for journaling blocks~once again, you are so smart! I learn something new every day from you. :)

How many more classes do you have to take?

Christy Lynn said...

This weekend I'll finish up my fifth class; I have to take twelve total and do a comprehensive exam to finish the program. Or else I could take ten classes and do a thesis, I haven't decided for sure yet. I must be insane to even consider the thesis option...

Having done so many pages for these baby books, I discovered the most efficient use of 8.5x11 cardstock when I need 4x6 photo mats is to cut three out of each piece, 1/4 inch bigger than the picture size. That leaves me a half inch strip and a little piece of paper that's 2.25 inches wide and 4.25 inches tall, so I cut it down to 3.25 inches for my journaling block on this book. You kind of learn some tricks if you mass-produce a lot of things like I do ;) The small journaling blocks work since this book is only 8x8 and I figured she wouldn't need a ton of space to write about a single picture.

You know, I have been at this scrapbooking thing off and on for over ten years. That's kind of strange to think about, but I've been stitching for over twenty. It boggles my mind that I've been doing anything other than breathing for over twenty years.

Charisse said...

You are so cute and funny. I love reading your stuff. And your scrapbooking and cards are absolutely gorgeous.

Did I ever tell you thank you for my cd? I can't remember. If I didn't, then I am a horrible friend and I am so sorry...and thank you a million times for my cd. :-)

Liz Guidry said...

Christy - you are giving me a bad rap! I just remember you saying (not too long ago) that you couldn't finish a 12x12 spread in a day and then you tell me you finished 20 8x8's. They look really cute btw. My 2 fave spreads are the ones with the hearts in the corner and the circus ones (with the pink elephant). You may want to tell your friend that if she wants everything to color coordinate than to print her pics out in black and white. Just a thought!

Sparkle said...

Your book is just darling! Good luck with the rest of your class!