Monday, May 11, 2009

Rainbow Brite

I think I was unconsciously channeling that 80s scion of polychromatic cheer when I was working on this page. What do you think?

So my original plan was just to use the bright blue, orange, and white, but I thought it might need some more accent colors. It wasn't until I started stamping and cutting out the leaves that I realized I pretty much had the whole rainbow except for purple. When I was little, my room was decorated in rainbows, even the wallpaper and the afghan on my bed that my mom made me, and none of that decor had purple on it either. Maybe that's why I painted my room purple after we moved to Texas...well anyway, I'm pretty pleased with how this page turned out, and also once again rolling my eyes at myself over how I can't seem to quit the fussy cutting--all the flowers and leaves are stamped on white paper, then handcut. The green swirls are actually a Sizzlits die that Mom just sent me, thanks Mom! Told you I'd use it :)

Honestly I don't remember a whole lot about Rainbow Brite (I was much more of a She-Ra type girl) so I looked around this website a little bit for a refresher on all things RB. I'm fairly sure I still have a Rainbow Brite doll and Twink, the white Sprite, somewhere at my parents' house, but I don't think I ever had Starlite the horse. I read online that they're going to re-release Rainbow Brite toys in stores this year, further proof that TV executives have run out of good cartoon ideas and so they're turning back to when cartoons were actually good. Hence the return of My Little Pony and all the other fun 80s stuff. Kind of fun to take a walk down memory lane...

5 comments:

Liz Guidry said...

Looks good to me - love all the colors. I *did* have Starlight - hehe. Sadly, I don't anymore. Wish I had some of those old toys though...

CCsMom said...

Wow, LOVE the colors. Looks really good, Kik! I love it! -- Mom

Charisse said...

I know its not a cartoon - but you can't forget fraggle rock!!!!

Thoughts by B and M said...

I just had to comment - I was a rainbow fanatic! My room was rainbow bright, sleeping bag, even watch the cartoon! I had Rainbow (several versions), starlight, Baby bright, patty o'green, shy violet, twink and rainbow's house as seen here http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/3339553312_c9ed18f230.jpg

sad huh?

Christy Lynn said...

Well Missy, I STILL have the Crystal Castle from She-Ra, complete with all the furniture, and quite a collection of She-Ra dolls...they're up in my parents' attic. And you know I bought all of the She-Ra cartoons when they came out on DVD, so how's that for hanging on to your childhood? ;)