Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Today's Post is Brought to You by the Color Yellow

Orange is on break today, so yellow is today's featured color. :D First off, I've been doing some more kokeshi doll shopping for my friend Vicki this week, and this time she insisted most strongly that I had to pick out a doll for myself as a gift from her. Who am I to argue? So here's the one I chose for me:

Thank you, Vicki! She's a different shape than any of the other ones I have, and I think she has such a sweet face. They had an olive green one with different flowers, but I just liked this one better. Vicki, you're getting a total of seven dolls this time and I am taking them to the post office tomorrow afternoon. I hope you like this batch as well as the last one! They're all lined up on my table right now and they're so cute, it's gonna be hard for me to part with them all ;) which means when I start getting a paycheck again, I'm going to have to add a lot of the same dolls to my own collection, teehee!

In other yellow news (not to be confused with yellow journalism, I just meant yellow news in that the scrapbook pages are yellow), I worked on a scrapbook layout today. The lighting is terrible since I took the pictures after ten o'clock at night, but here it is nonetheless...

The thing is, I'm not sure it's done yet. I think it needs some type of embellishment in the upper left, lower left, and upper right corners to form a visual triangle (I'm big on visual triangles on my layouts), but I'm not sure what it really needs. I tried this...

The butterflies and dragonflies aren't stuck down yet though since I'm not sure they're the answer. So help me out here, what do you think? The layout is from the Tour of the North that Lee and I went on last year, and this is the yakiniku restaurant where we had lunch and the Nago Pineapple Winery. I already checked with Amber and neither one of us has a single pineapple stamp in our vast collections--she's letting me down here, she's supposed to buy all the stamps that I *don't* get so we have a full collection between the two of us ;)

Anyway, I was trying to go for a bit of a tropical vibe, which always seems to translate into large vivid flowers (reference the Rainbow Brite page from the previous post). Butterflies and dragonflies admittedly have nothing to do with the subject of the layout though, so gimme some guidance here. What should I put in those areas for embellishment? I'm not stuck on the light turquoise color either, I just thought it might work and also my shirt is turquoise in the smallest photo.

This layout is actually a redo. I don't usually go back and redo my pages, but this layout just bugged me so much I had to do it. Here's the old version:

I suppose there's nothing wrong with it per se, but it just didn't do anything for me. It's plain. It's boring. It's symmetrical. It's a little too yellow. Hence the makeover, which is still incomplete at this point but it's 11:00 and I should go to bed now. I hope to wake up tomorrow with LOTS of helpful comments about how I can finish my new and improved layout, so start chattin'!

ETA: I just found out I got an A on my research paper, and my final grade in the class is also an A. Nice to know all that work paid off...and I feel not at all guilty for having ordered myself a whole bunch of Kettos and other Stamping Bella stamps to celebrate being finished with that class! Now I just need to finish up the other one I'm in right now...I already registered for the next one too. No rest for the Christy.

5 comments:

Charisse said...

YELLOW IS MY FAVORITE COLOR.

:-) The new kokeshi doll is gorgeous and so unique looking, I love it.

Lee said...

I like the newer layout much better and I agree that it needs something else, but not the dragonflies or at least not in that color. It needs to stand out against the background more if you want it to draw the eye around the page better. If you are going to use the dragonflies then you can use their "flight" direction to guide the eye movement on the page. Anyways, what are you going to do with all those dolls? Our display has to be close to full by now.

Giffysk8s said...

Okay, I am ROFL because Lee thinks you already have enough dolls! You can tell you are still "newlyweds." We've been married almost 26 years. Rick's response would be, "Here, honey, let me make some more room for your lovely doll collection." LOL Just teasin' you, Lee!

I am soooo glad you bought a doll yourself from me! That makes me really happy! Your are more than welcome. Now you have something special to remind you of your zany friend. And she is downright adorable! I bet the other dolls are jealous. :) I can't believe you got seven for me. That's a lot! I really am excited! That was probably my last big donation to my kokeshi slush fund, at least for quite awhile. But if you run across one that I would die without, let me know and I'll send you enough for it/them. We wouldn't want me to die!

I like the new layout better, too. What abut putting chops sitcks and/or food containers in the corners? Now you've got me thinkin' about the visual triangle thing. I am going to do that on my next layout. You are so smart, Miss Christy! Speaking of smart, CONGRATS on your paper and class grades! WOO HOO! Now you really can enjoy your new stamps!

Speaking of stamps, I got my order today: Maisy Ketto, Kenya Ketto, Papillon Ketto, Altee'tude, bffBUGGS, showerBUGG, the two new bellas, monster mash, lady owlie and her sign, and branching out owlies. If you want me to stamp any for you, let me know.

Oh, thank you ever so much for the beautiful Mother's Day card! Brittany and I both oohed and ahhed over it. Where or where did you get that cherry blossom stamp? (I thinks that's what it is...). Did you emboss that? I have some embossing stuff that I have never used because I am not really sure what to do with it. I think I need a private lesson or two from you. :)

Off I go. Hungry stomachs are a callin'.

P.S. I think this is the longest blog comment I have ever written.

CCsMom said...

I like the new layout, too! But I'm with Lee -- I think the butterflies and dragon flies, especially in the blue, are just too much.

Oh, and I like your new doll. Kinda reminds me of you with your haircut!

I did go by Hobby Lobby and saw packs of paper from Basic Grey, but nothing purple. So yeah, I did look.

Maybe we'll talk tonight, eh? It's 8:37 a.m. your time right now and your dad is cooking me dinner -- fried rice. And guess where we learned how to make it 30 years ago?!!! Hee hee!

Love ya! Mom

Toby E. said...

I agree with your mom and Lee on the layout. But so far it looks great!
And I LOVE your new doll!!!! She's so cute, perky, and different.