Saturday, May 9, 2009

Trying to Get Back in the Groove

I finished my research paper on Wednesday night, and on Thursday I went in my craft room dusted everything off, and then....sat around and stared at my supplies, trying to figure out what the heck to work on. I have a handy-dandy list of things I want to do (scrapbook pages, cards to make, etc.) but I just couldn't figure out where to start. It's hard to get back in the groove after being away from it for a while, it feels like it's been a lot longer than it really has. Anyway, I finally decided to color in another one of the Stamping Bella Ketto images that sweet Vicki sent me.

This is Missmatch Ketto, and I lovey her because she reminds me of my days as a bellydancer, except bellydancers don't wear shoes. (Yes, I took bellydance classes for a while in Texas. If you ever have the opportunity to do so, you should most definitely try it--it's the most fun you can have without breaking the law. Seriously. And just so you know, bellydancers are NOT strippers or "exotic" dancers, it's all about celebrating femininity, not making guys...whatever the goal of stripping is.) Anyway, I'm still in an orange mood; I think I'll order some Tangerine Tango patterned paper later this month since Stampin' Up has all their patterned paper on sale. Maybe the reason I'm so into orange lately is because I miss my buddy Liz, and orange reminds me of her. :) So maybe I'll send her this card, that sounds like a good idea to me.

Back to the card...I'm loving the orange with Brilliant Blue and Tempting Turquoise. So I like the colors, but this card still seems a teeny bit plain to me. I was going to submit it for this week's Bellariffic Friday challenge to do a birthday card, but when I was looking through my sentiments I got stuck on "little miss thang" and had to use that instead :p

I missed my April scrapbook goal by two pages and thus far the only headway I've made on my May goal is this:

What's sad is I'd already put together most of the page in April, all I had to do was stick down the flowers and the island cutout. Sometimes I really think I'm insane--I cut out all the letters, the flowers, AND the shape of the island, and by the time I finished I thought my fingers were going to fall off. Why couldn't Okinawa be a simple shape to cut out? What's even crazier is I made two of these, one for each of my 2008 scrapbooks (obviously, the other one says Part 2). I am very, very close to being completely finished with the whole Part 1 book, I just need to do the last page (which I started yesterday), journal on a couple of layouts, and possibly redo two pages because I don't like the way they turned out the first time. It's a nice feeling of accomplishment when you finish an entire scrapbook.

Tomorrow I hope to finish up the page I started for the end of the book after I finish my take-home final. Yeah, that 20-page paper was *not* the end of the class, I still have to do this final but I have to knock it out tomorrow one way or another. Then I'll have to work on a group presentation for my other class and get registered for the next one. All this book learnin' is interfering with my crafting time...I wanted to do the final today (Saturday) but I was knocked on my arrrse with a headache for most of the day (I switched my language on Facebook to pirate English and I think it's starting to seep into my vocabulary. If you're on FB, you should try it--it's hilarious! Instead of "my friends" it says "me hearties" and on and on. Love it!) Here's hoping that tomorrow is headache-free.

5 comments:

CCsMom said...

That little Bella design reminds me of when you were little and liked to dress up in whatever you found that seemed interesting -- you and your Aunt Joni. I think it's a little girl thing. But this Bellas has hair like yours was when you were 3, so yeah, it's little Christy.

LOVE the scrapbook page. I see that the flowers are the same as on the background of your paper -- did you stamp the paper, too? Really cool. It's simple, but with YOU, there's always A LOT OF EFFORT that goes into any page you do. WOW.

Hopefully you'll get the packages from me very soon. It's rainy her today, but I think I still may venture out to the new Sam Moon opening. Hmmm, do I need any more jewelry?!!!

Love ya kiddo, and wish you were here to GO SHOPPING WITH ME. Mom

Christy Lynn said...

Wish you were HERE to go shopping with ME, 'cause I'm going shopping for kokeshi dolls tomorrow after I do my take home final :) And I realized the other night that I haven't really gotten myself any Okinawa charms for my charm bracelet, and I so need to fix that.

I got both packages from you today, that was the one bright spot of the day. Thank you!! That Sizzlits die is so cute, I think I might break it out and use it on the page I started yesterday. As for the page I posted on here, the background is patterned paper but it was printed specifically to match the stamp set. The only things I stamped on there were the three big flowers. And you're right, I do have to make things complicated even if they *look* simple!

Sparkle said...

I love your card! It's darling and I'm so in love with orang right now too.

Congrats on finishing your paper!

Giffysk8s said...

I know that all the book learnin' is a good thing, but I am happy to see you back to crafting! I love your layouts and cards! Missmatch Keeto is adroable. Did you order her? I can't remember. And I like the blue and orange. Tangerine Tango is one of the best colors!

Hope you slept well and will have a headache free day!

Liz Guidry said...

Woot! Can't wait to get that super cute card in the mail. Glad to see that my orange obsession is rubbing off on you.....I'm taking over the world - 1 person at a time. hehe.