Saturday, June 13, 2009

The "I Survived My First Week at Work" Kokeshi Doll, Plus a Baby Shower

'Cause you know I was gonna buy myself a doll to celebrate getting through my first week at work unscathed!

I've had my eye on this one for a couple of months. I don't see too many kokeshi dolls featuring these colors (and the colors in the picture are wonky since it's so overcast here right now)--it's light blue, lavender, and pink. At $35, she's the most expensive doll I've bought, which is why I've been waiting to buy her :) Vicki, the only one they have left at the store is the display one, so if you want it I'll go back on Tuesday and snatch her for you. I've only ever seen this doll at the one store...and they've gotten in a bunch of new ones too. Good thing I will start receiving paychecks pretty soon here!

The job is going pretty well so far, but then again I've had Casey sitting there with me to make sure I don't mess up. I don't have my own computer access yet but that should get taken care of first thing on Monday morning, and I think Casey's trained me fairly well but I'm still hoping that she'll be able to work all of next week with me before she has her baby. I told her she's not allowed to give birth until she's done teaching me, think the baby will listen to me when I say that? Hehe!

So today I've been running around like a crazy person. I was trying very hard to finish up a couple of things for Tiana's baby shower this afternoon, plus I had to go get my "I Survived" doll and run a few other errands (in the pouring rain!) *and* I got my new Stampin' Up catalog in the mail today but I've only had time to flip through it one time really fast. It's sitting right next to me, waiting for me to give it a leisurely perusal, which will happen as soon as I finish typing this post. Good thing I type fast.

Anyway, my friend Tiana's baby shower was this afternoon, and she's the one that I was making the "baby's first year" scrapbook for. I still have two layouts to finish--I did one layout for each month of the year, but I haven't yet done the first pictures/homecoming layout or one for the baby's first birthday so I'll have to give those to Tiana later. So here's Tiana opening her gift from me...

I'll start posting pictures of each layout on here over the next few days so you can see the pages close up (if you're interested in that). The first page says "Emma's First Year" and has a little giraffe like we did on Tiana's baby announcements (I helped her make those a while back).

Tiana flipped through the book real quick so everyone could get an idea of what I did, and then it got passed around later. And no, I will *not* be selling my work anywhere...I don't want to get burned out making things to sell, so I'd rather stick to my own personal crafting and whatever I want to make to give as presents to friends and family.

The last page of the book says "Made in Japan" on top, and then I stamped "From American Parts" on the bottom. I finished the first and last pages this afternoon and actually got to the shower about a half an hour late (oops).

Now I really, really, *really* need to clean up and organize my craft room, it looks like a typhoon hit it. Paper and stamps flying everywhere, not to mention the dog hair on the floor despite me vacuuming on Friday during my lunch break (I couldn't stand it anymore...when you're having dreams about how much dog hair is on the floor, it is past time to vacuum!!) But tomorrow is soon enough to do that...for now, I've got a new Stampin' Up! catalog with which I need to get acquainted ;)

4 comments:

CCsMom said...

How cute -- reminds me of my very own baby shower on Okinawa oh so many years ago. Hee hee! Seriously, this post brought it back to my memory like it was yesterday. The book looks fabulous, even from a distance. I'm sure she loves it.

Right now I'm in the midst of making a baby blanket -- one of 4. Seems to be a baby boom going on lately, you know? Well, I'm sure YOU do since you reside on Maternity Island.

Went to lunch with Dad and Adam since they are working on Adam's car today. Quite a huge job going on.

Yesterday at work as we were going to the car to go to lunch, I said something about you, I'm sure for the umpteenth time. Taylor said, "Hey, I need to meet this Christy. Seems like I know her already since I've heard so much about her." Guess you are the topic of my conversation a WHOLE LOT, eh?

Anyway, the doll is interesting . . . I love the colors. Is she large? They sure had a lot to choose from. Isn't it funny I stuck on the ones that are the same size and have the same heads but different "kimonos" on? Well, they look great lined up on my bookcase at any rate.

Love ya mucho, kid! Mom

Giffysk8s said...

Hmm... I wrote a LONG comment and it looked like it went through. Guess it's floating in space. Maybe it will meet up with my mind. :)

I LOVE the baby book! I really like how the first and last pages match. You did a great job and are such a sweet friend to make this! The last page is awesome!

Glad you are enjoying work. I am selfish and miss seeing you more on FB, SCS, and blogs. :) Maybe I should get a life, huh? LOL

The answer is YES!!!!!!!!! She is beautiful! Love the colors. Love the bangs and rosy cheeks. Love the scarf wrapped around her. (That is what it is, right?) I am sure that the only finger prints on her are yours. Hee hee! But I hate to ask you to make yet another special trip for me, especially if it's that store that you hate! And did you really need to tell me that they have a bunch of new ones? Now I am going to be awake late into the night trying to figure out how to collect more $ for my kokeshi fund. I need to write my million dollar novel, and SOON. :)

Hope you enjoyed reading your favorite book, aka the new SU catty!

Liz Guidry said...

Sooooo cute! (About the baby book). I'm glad you made it through your first week of work unscathed. Can't wait to hear all about it. I hope you will still have some time to chat with me. I miss you!
xoxo

Lynn said...

Great album! "Made in Japan...From American Parts" LOVE it!