Sunday, June 7, 2009

International Political Economy, How Do I Hate Thee?

Let me count the ways!

Yesterday I made a decision that makes me very happy. I'm dropping my current class, International Political Economy. I hated to do it because it pretty much negates my taking two classes last term so I could finish up a little earlier, but it's worth it to me to never have to see that professor again. He was *awful* in so many ways. He seems to think he's funny, but he's not; his lectures are pretty much incomprehensible; the more questions the students ask, the more confused we get; he goes into long-winded digressions that have nothing to do with the subject he's supposed to be teaching *and* they're boring; he asks students' opinions on stuff and then proceeds to expound on how the student's opinion is wrong so he can make us feel stupid. And that's on top of a boatload of reading and essay assignments.

Oh yeah, I'm happy to get out of THAT mess. I'll take it this time next year when Dr. Boz is back...I've had him for several classes already and I know he'll at least make sense. For now, I decided I could either handle the class and its horrible teacher, *or* learning my new job, but not both. I decided to stick with the option where I get paid rather than the one I have to pay for.

So tomorrow is my first official day at work, although I spent maybe 20 hours last week sitting with the girl I'm replacing so I could start learning what I'm going to be doing for the next year and a half. I think the biggest thing will be learning who everyone is; I'll be dealing with lots and lots of different people. Luckily most of them wear nametags, so that helps. The FUN part will be deciding what to spend my first paycheck on, lol :) I should be getting a copy of Stampin' Up!'s new catalog on Friday, so I'm sure that will help me decide, hehe! Plus I've got Post-It notes stuck all over the JC Penney catalog since I need to refresh my work wardrobe. There are these teal shoes I really want...

Anyway, now that I've decided to drop that class, I'm much happier and I'm much more likely to get the baby book for my friend done in time for her baby shower next Saturday. I've got one more month's layout to do, plus a couple more pages, so if I work on that consistently after I get off work each day this week, I should be able to get it finished. I'll post pictures of the whole book on here when it's done. But for right now, I think I need to go to bed early so I'll be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for work tomorrow.

5 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

I hope your first day is awesome! Teal shoes sound JUST like you!

Liz Guidry said...

Good luck on your first day! I am off to Disney. Will keep you posted on the pics. Now I actually have a *chance* to catch up with you since you have a job!!! hehe

Amber said...

Awww...lil career girl:) How did your first day go??? More importantly...WHERE'S MY INK PAD???????????? BWAHAHAHA! I'm kidding, you know this;) Keep it for as long as you want! *Vicki, it's YOUR fault she's ink pad 'napped by beloved Adirondack! LOL! I am in an Asbestos Building Inspector class this week, but it's actually not bad at all. I was dreading it but it's been fun so far.
Glad to hear you dropped that class, it's no fun going to a class you hate, you really don't get much out of it anyway except for thinking the whole time what a moron the professor is. That's what my Psychology class was like, dude was a moron and I got up and left half way through EVERY class! He was an idiot! I would actually leave there feeling enraged and want to go boxing or something, hahaha!
Hey, now that you're not taking the class, we should stamp next weekend!

CCsMom said...

Well, fooey. I just left a message and it didn't go through.

Been thinking about you ALL DAY, but right now you are starting your 2nd day of work. It's 8:30 a.m. where you are on Tuesday.

Anyway, sent you a package today, so be on the look-out. Just some goodies. Enjoy.

So email me sometimes to let me know you are doing fine. Love ya, kiddo! - Mom

Zeus and Twinkle Haskins said...

Good for you!! I love it when people step up and make decsisions that are right for them even though they may be tough. Congratulations on the new Job. Good Luck and enjoy your summer.