Saturday, July 25, 2009

Old Friends and New Babies

Twelve years ago today, I lost my friend Nicole Taylor. She was seventeen years old, and she died in a car accident one week before we were to start marching band rehearsals for our senior year of high school. Hers was the first funeral I can remember attending, and I don't think I'll ever go to another open-casket visitation, that upset me so much. Earlier this week I found her sister Jennifer on Facebook (thanks to Jeng for hooking us up) and she's been posting memories of Nicole on there...I have to say, a lot of them are pretty darned funny. To call Nicole "fiercely competitive" would be an understatement, and she was not above the occasional practical joke--I know for a fact that she put hot peppers in the mouthpiece of someone else's French horn when we were in middle school. She painted my fingernails dark green with pink and purple dots and squiggles a couple of times when we were at band camp together (this was before the words "band camp" became a joke thanks to the American Pie movies), so I can just imagine how she would have loved seeing what they do at Cocok's with the silent K...I painted my own fingernails green with squiggles in Nicole's memory for my high school graduation (in most of the pictures they just look black, but I know what it was for). We both loathed and detested our middle school band director...my mom sent me a program from this year's alumni band concert and when I saw that director's bio on the same page as Nicole's on the program, I immediately thought how she'd probably roll her eyes and say something sarcastic if she saw it. She passionately loved music so I think she'd be happy to know that the high school band gives out a scholarship in her name every year. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of Nicole with me here in Okinawa, but I still think of her often. Jennifer looks SO much like her, only with blonde hair whereas Nicole usually dyed hers red. After Nicole died, my mom got me one of those birthstone angel necklaces with Nicole's birthstone and you know what? I still wear it a lot. I have it on right now. So here's to you, Nicole. Still miss you after all these years.

Let's move on to a happier part of life...new babies (well, I assume new babies are happy occasions since everyone on the island seems to be having them!). I've finally finished Tiana's baby book and oh yeah, Lee's information was faulty--she hadn't gone into labor yet. Haven't heard from her this weekend but if she doesn't go into labor on her own before Tuesday, they're going to induce her. Baby Emma, your first year scrapbook is DONE darlin', it's ok to make your entrance already! ;)


Tiana loved all the hot pink stuff she got at her baby shower, and I know Scott loves orange, so I decided to go a little wild with the color combination on this one. For a while I was thinking flamingos, but I talked myself out of that...I like the birthday cake on here. And I think I'll need to buy a zillion packs of that Razzleberry Lemonade patterned paper over the next ten months :)

Here's the boy version for the *other* baby book...

The backgrounds on both are stamped with a confetti-esque stamp. I used the SU color wheel to come up with this color combo, and I like it--I don't think I use Apricot Appeal often enough. So now I just need to do the first and last pages for the boy baby book, and it'll be done too...and I am very much looking forward to scrapping some of my own pictures again, it's been too long :) But anyway, I made my goal of 10 scrapbook pages for the month of July...8 of them were for the baby books :p I've got a lot of work to do on my Japan scrapbooks still.

7 comments:

Liz Guidry said...

Sorry about your friend. It's so sad when someone is taken so soon.

Love your baby LO's. You know which one I like more ;)

Hope to get to chat with you soon.

Giffysk8s said...

Sorry to hear about Nicole, but happy to hear that you carry her in your heart the way you. Here's a big hug for you...

LOVE the layouts! I am so in love with that Razzleberry Lemonade paper and the new In Colors! Love Baby Emma's name, too! :)

I spent 5 hours today scrapbooking! Haven't done that in a long time! I am LOVING my Cricut! My LO's have titles again! Hooray!

Here's to Nicole...

Charisse said...

Hey honey. I have been thinking about Nicole, too. She was such fun. And a great HONEST person. I still remember middle school English class with her. She made everything so much fun.

Toby E. said...

I was just thinking of the peppers in the horn earlier today. My mom stopped by today and we were both coming up with a few memories of her. Her's was my first funeral too. Her's is also the only one I went to the casket to see...had to, and I will never forget.

Sparkle said...

Thanks for sharing your story about your friend. Your layouts are so cute. Still working on mine for my friend's shower.

CCsMom said...

What a blessing to have known Nicole! And no, we can't explain why things happen the way they do, but know that those people who were taken way too early have enriched our lives far beyond the number of years they were given on this earth. So carrying them in our hearts is what we do. I have several, as you know, and these places in my heart started taking on tenants early in my life. But there they remain and always will. They help make us what we are.

Good to talk to you yesterday, and I am very anxious to see you in August. Have a great week. Love you -- Mom

Zeus and Twinkle Haskins said...

Having only known Nicole for a short while loseing her when we lost her I think was devastating to so many. I am thankful for her life and so glad we all supported each other like we did. Thanks for sharing her life again. I was looking at her pictures the other day and was reminded of her bright and bold spirit. That was not my first funeral but was the first of someone under 70. What a beautiful service that was, and man there was ALOT of people there. God Bless you dear Nicole!!!

Sweet baby books, JEALOUS!!!