Thursday, August 27, 2009

Beware of Pirates

Arr, mateys! Here be the piratical pictures I promised ye. :D Ok, ok, enough pirate talk...

On Saturday, we landed in Seattle, went through customs, and then caught a shuttle out to Whidbey Island to visit my friend Liz whom I have not seen in about three years. We hit the ground running, too...as soon as we got to Liz's house, we had to shower and get ready to go out to a pirate-themed party. Maybe we were crazy to do that *immediately* after we landed in Seattle, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see Ree in costume!! He's generally anti-costume :p

That's my awesome friend Liz on the left, then me and Ree, and Liz's friend Carla on the far right. I liked Liz and Carla's costumes better than mine and I am severely lacking in the footwear department but I didn't want to pack a whole 'nother set of shoes for this (we were trying to pack as lightly as possible so we could buy more clothes while we're here, hehehe!) And my pirate hat didn't photograph too well either (I envy Carla's fabulous chapeau), but at least I didn't have to worry about my hair being messed up. Liz's three-year-old daughter Autumn was reportedly a bit freaked out by Lee's (fake) long hair.

How do we look? Not at all threatening, huh....bwahahahaaaa! So anyway, the theme for this little shindig was all things piratey, BUT most of the attendees were actually in formal wear. And since we arrived *very* late, absolutely everyone was staring at us when we walked in...but Lee and I figured we don't know anyone but Liz and Carla, so who cares what anyone else thinks? We walked in with Attitude!

And here you can see what mondo amounts of jet lag plus rum will do to a pirate wench...I tease, I tease. Ok, so I was jet lagged, but I swore off the rum. I actually ended up being the DD and of course I kept hitting the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal--they're on opposite sides of the steering wheel since we drive on the left side of the road in Japan.

I miss Liz so much!! When we lived in North Carolina, she lived in the house directly behind mine so we were often spying on each other through our dining room windows :) It was cool that my cordless phone worked just fine in her house too, hehe! We're hoping to both go back to North Carolina in a year or two, so we'll see what happens. And I would definitely love to be next-door neighbors again so we can swap scrapbook supplies :D

Me and my sweetie pie. Y'know, I'm going to kind of miss those Clark Kent glasses...anyway, as I said, Lee usually doesn't go for the whole dress-up thing so I really appreciated him going along with the rest of us on this one. He was a really good sport.

Lee had his eye surgery this morning and he's doing just fine. We even went to breakfast at McDonald's right after he had it done, then we came back to our hotel room to sleep. I still haven't adjusted to the time change, I slept until 3 this afternoon :) Lee's got the good drugs to keep himself knocked out but I'm wide awake at 11:30 p.m. writing this blog post...well, my body still thinks it's 9:30 in the morning. Tomorrow morning. I think I'll go read a bit more from my textbook, that should help knock me out...and tomorrow my parents will get here!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Liz Guidry said...

Oh yeah we walked in with plenty of attitude - ha ha!

Glad Lee's surgery went well. Wish I could get that done too, although it kind of freaks me out.

Can't wait to hear about your shopping adventures!

Giffysk8s said...

Looks like a FUN party! Loving you dressed as a pirate wench holding a gun!

Glad you are hitting all of your favorite stores. The Texas economy will crash when you leave. LOL

Nice to put a face with Liz's name. So glad you got to see her!