Monday, November 2, 2009

Heian Shrine

I'm back with more Kyoto pictures and--surprise!--they're of another Shinto shrine we visited. This one is the Heian Shrine, which our guide book describes as one of Kyoto's largest and "newest" shrines since it didn't arrive on the scene until 1895. Hah. So let's get started with the pictures, shall we?

The shrine is comprised of several buildings around a large central court (gravel, of course). There were quite a few people but since everything is so spread out it kinda looks deserted in the photos, doesn't it?

Lee and I took a photo of some lanterns at a shrine on Okinawa and I was kinda trying to recreate that shot...didn't quite work as I'd imagined, but I like the photo nonetheless.

I just love taking photos like this, I think they look really neat. You may remember the one I took like this at the first garden we visited in Kyoto.

We stayed in the courtyard area for only a short time before our tour group trundled off behind the buildings and through the shrine's garden. There's a large pond and at one point you can cross it on a series of stepping stones, but first you have to read this sign:

I couldn't have said it better myself. (Ok, really, I know their English is a heck of a lot better than my Japanese, but that doesn't mean I can't get tickled about things like this!) Here are the highly treacherous stepping stones:

Ok, maybe they'd be difficult if we were wearing the kinds of impractical footwear that the Japanese women seem to adore. Just so you know, I managed not to fall into the pond when crossing the stepping stones.

There's Ree (and the peace sign!) with the one lone tree that had started turning colors for fall :) On the other side of the garden is a Chinese-style covered bridge and we got someone to take our picture on it.

What, you can't tell that's us? :p I think we needed a fill-in flash on this one. Oh well, we tried! They have carp in the pond too, and you can feed them if you like...

(Click on the picture so you can read the sign.) Wonder if anyone ever tries to go fishing off the bridge here...maybe not. Here's a shot of the bridge itself:

Pretty, huh? We saw some pictures of the garden at different times of the year when we were on our way back to the tour bus, and this garden is famous for its irises. Wish we could have seen that, the photo was absolutely gorgeous!

Well, I've gotta get to work. You guys in the States have a great evening!

4 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Love the lanterns! Especially love the last photo~the tree branches, of course! Keep the pix coming!

Thoughts by B and M said...

when we where there, there was a wedding inside the last picture you took (in the building). It was pretty neat - and SOOO beautiful/serene!

CCsMom said...

Wow, these are gorgeous. Can't wait to see your Okinawa scrapbook!!! Well, this one is JAPAN, but you went on this trip while you were stationed on Okinawa, so it counts. Super pictures. I just love it.

Gotta get with it. Love ya! Mom

Amber said...

Your pictures are so great, I hope Billy and I get over there before this tour is up!
You wanna come over this weekend and play with my new toy? I have all weekend open, but not sure if you have class or anything...just lemme know:) I have 3 cartridges (went to the BX after work today and got Storybook, it's AWESOME!) Miss you Christy!!!