Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving at Our House

So here's what Thanksgiving Day looked like at Ree and Christy's house :) I would have liked to have some autumn-y decorations, but the stores here went straight from Halloween to Christmas and ignored the whole month of November. One of these days though...anyway, pictures! Here's Lee and his dad carving the turkey:

Jamie and Amber, who were helping me set everything up on the table. The collaborated on the ham; Amber was too chicken to make a ham, so she bought it and Jamie cooked it. Turned out great and it looked fabulous too! We bought a turkey dinner that came with a bunch of side dishes, and then made a few things to supplement it. And then I did the desserts, including apple streusel cheesecake bars, berry cobbler, Mississippi Mud, and the famous pumpkin cookies. The dinner we bought came with a pumpkin pie, but alas, Ree didn't notice you're supposed to thaw it in the fridge overnight, so we didn't eat that. Anyway, here's my favorite photo of the day :)

Miss J again. That apron is actually mine, my mom made me that several years ago when we did a big Thanksgiving to-do at our house in North Carolina. So Jamie WAS the autumn decoration, hehe! I had on my blue and white SuperChristy apron but never got a photo of me in it. Whoops.

And here's our group, digging in to the feast. That's Scott, Larry (aka Lee's dad), Billy (aka Amber's hubby), Dean (aka Jamie's hubby), Nancy (aka Lee's mom), and Lee's arm.

Here's all us girls! Wish the picture was a little bit clearer but this is what we got. Here's Amber, Jamie, me, and Tiana with baby Emma, who is about four months old.

And of course, the aftermath of any big food-related event...the clean-up.

Yeah, I should probably be downstairs right now working my way through the dishes (and I took this picture after I'd already run a load through the dishwasher!). Maybe I'll get some of them done before Nancy and I head off to Cocok's with the silent k. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Liz Guidry said...

Happy Thanksgiving, you guys! Looks like you had yet another FAB dinner. You always out-do yourself. Hey, you know I have a TON of Autumn themed decorations, so next time you can just borrow my stuff. ha!

Just wanted to let you know that I am very thankful for your guys' friendship. You're the best!

Enjoy your visit with Lee's folks.

CCsMom said...

Hey,GREAT pictures!!! So glad to see that Larry and Nancy made it all the way to your house! We had a good Thanksgiving, too, with a 7-week old Hudson. He was soooo cute. But yes, great food and good times. We really enjoyed it. It's almost 9:00 p.m. and we just got home. Contemplating whether or not to hit an after Thanksgiving sale . . . hmmm, alas, no money.

Anyway, love you, love you! Mom

Giffysk8s said...

Looks scrumptious!!! I've simply go to know about the Mississippi Mud~my ALL TIME FAVE!!!! I have never mad it b/c I haven't come across a recipe that sounds just right. But based on your scrumptious pumpkin cookie recipe, I assume that you have a fabulous recipe for this, too! Do tell!

Glad you had such a wonderful time. Don't forget to post pix of your toes!

Christy Lynn said...

Ok Vicki, it's my mom's Mississippi Mud recipe. Add 1 cup chopped walnuts to a family size brownie mix and bake in a 9x13 pan. While still hot, empty a jar of marshmallow creme on top (I use the smaller one, you just drop spoonfuls of it on the brownies and it kinda melts, but it takes a bit for it to spread out). Refrigerate brownies. Boil 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons milk, and 2 tablespoons cocoa, then remove from heat and add 1/2 box powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (I just keep adding sugar till it's the right consistency, and the frosting tastes gross until you've added the sugar, ask me how I know). Spread the frosting on top of the marshmallow creme and refrigerate overnight. Then try not to eat the entire pan by yourself because I SO would do that if given half a chance! Heyyyy, there's one left in the fridge right now and it's calling my name!