Monday, January 18, 2010

Sooooo Close

So I'm not dead, although I did get sick the day after my last post. I missed a day of work and then last weekend all I was good for is sleeping and watching NCIS (need to buy season 3 now since I finished season 2). And now that I'm mo' bettah, I still have that dratted paper to write. I have made *some* progress on that front...I now have 22 pages of typed-up quotes to use, but the paper part really isn't written. Argh.

But today I took the day off to play with my much-neglected paper crafting supplies, *and* I spent several hours at Amber's house, hanging out with her and playing with the Cricut machine. Vicki gave me the Pagoda cartridge as a present, so we had to check it out. I used a couple of Pagoda images on the two scrapbook layouts I'm (still) working on...I was hoping to have them both finished today but I still have the journaling to do and that's not the kind of thing I should do when I'm half asleep. So anyway, take a peek:

If you read this blog regularly (or at least as regularly as I actually update it, oops) then you probably recognize these pages. I posted them before without the titles and accents done (maybe the third time will be the charm and I'll actually have them DONE the next time I post?!) The dragon on the right-hand page was cut out using the Pagoda Cricut cartridge, is it not awesome? The white swirls were done with a stamp that Amber gave me. Not only did she let me play with her toys, she gave me a bunch of stuff today too! As if just hanging out with her wasn't gift enough. I've got the coolest friends :) Anyway, Amber also showed me a computer program she has (I forget the name of it) where she plugs the Cricut in to her computer and can cut out pretty much anything she wants to, like computer fonts, so that's how I did the titles on my layouts. Pretty cool, huh???

The fish and the kanji are both from the Pagoda cartridge, and according to it, the kanji says "ocean". I sometimes wonder if the translations of those things are accurate, and how many people are walking around with tattoos that really say things like "stupid" or "I stink" instead of what they really thought they were writing in kanji. That thought makes me laugh.

I also needed a birthday card since Connie, my office mate and fellow skeleketary at work, is celebrating her birthday tomorrow. I went to China Pete's and got this neat little teapot and two teacups, I think it's more of a display thing than a use-it thing, but I thought it was pretty and a neat little memento of Japan. (Ok, so I got me one too!) Anyway, here's a card done in similar colors to the tea set:

Yeah, it was already pretty late when I started this, so I CASEd myself. See my original card here. I still like it, pretty fast and easy to put together but still looks good. The gray-looking mat is actually silver cardstock, which I think makes the card a little bit more special. I also think my pink ink pad needs a refresher.

Ah crud, it's almost 11:00 and I have to go to work tomorrow. As the Animaniacs would say, "Mwah! G'night everybody!"

5 comments:

Sparkle said...

Glad you're feeling better! Your layouts and card are just darling!

Giffysk8s said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giffysk8s said...

Well, I finally finished season 1 of NCIS. I just bought 3-5 from Barnes & Noble. They had them on sale with a buy 2 get 1 free deal! Wanna come watch? We could stay in or jammies and stitch!

LOVE the stuff you made with the cartridge! So glad you like it! I keep looking at it for myself. Maybe after I work my way through my SU wish list. Ha ha!

Glad you had a fun day with Amber! I got to spend the whole day today crafting! Made 13 cards (a few multiples of four designs) and I worked on my needlepoint project (a Cape Cod landscape) while I watched the last two episodes of NCIS season 1. And while all of that was happening, we got 6" of snow! Then I took some pics of Emma and Brittany making a snowman and sledding in the yard. A very nice day, indeed!

Have an great Tuesday!

Liz Guidry said...

Great accents on the pages. Can't wait for you to get more scrappin done! Much love!

CCsMom said...

Wow, I LOVE that cartridge. It's PERFECT for our scrapbooks, isn't it? You know I've already bought myself one -- just haven't even broken my machine out of the package yet. Is it easy to use? Seems like I will be derailed from scrapping yet again as Dad has asked for bids on texturing and painting the bathroom and he doesn't want to have to pay that much. Sounds like it's turning into a do-it-yourselfer and he HATES to paint. Yeah, I see it coming.

Yep, Kiddo, embrace what's coming this weekend. You will look back on this day and think, "Yeah, good times!" I know I still do, even though the memory is getting a big fuzzy as I near 55. Wow, I remember Mimi telling me she was 55(and holding). Now I'm there.

Love you!!! Mom