Monday, February 15, 2010

Sapporo, Part 2: Odori Snow Festival

I'm back again with Part 2 of our Sapporo trip. The very first night when we arrived, we walked out to Odori (not sure if it's a neighborhood or a street, but I know it's a subway stop at least) to see the snow festival. Some of the snow sculptures are amazingly huge! What's kind of sad is that they bulldoze them all right after the festival ends; apparently it's a safety hazard if they leave the sculptures up to melt on their own. Anyway, Snoopy was the first one we saw:

Most of the sculptures are maybe about six feet tall, and then there are a few gargantuan ones thrown in the mix, like this one of the Zoos of the North (we actually went to one of the zoos, but you'll have to wait a bit for those pictures).

I hope you can get an idea of how enormous this snow sculpture is from the people's silhouettes on the bottom. Amazingly detailed, too--just check out that orangutan's fur and how adorable are the polar bears?!

I'm sure you'll recognize who's on this one:

The ship in the background is the S.S. Columbia, which is affiliated with Tokyo Disney Sea.

This next one I think is Iolani Palace, which is in Hawaii and is the U.S.'s only palace to have been used by a reigning monarch. Love the lights on this one.

So those two dudes with the guitars were up on the stage just in front of the snow sculpture, so that should give you an idea how big it is.

Here's another Disney character:

It's the cranky old man from Up! And next to him was this sign, which contains three words I do not believe should be used in conjunction with each other:

Milk seafood noodle? Yummy...in a not-at-all kind of way!! Next up is a replica of Wartburg Castle in Germany:

Well, part of it anyway. But I wanted to include a picture of me in here just for Liz :) because she doesn't think we get in enough of our pictures. Lee took this one so no pictures of him for this post. I did take some though so he'll be featured later in the Sapporo pics.

Here is Baekje Royal Palace from Korea:

There was also a super-creepy snow sculpture of Michael Jackson, but Lee deleted all of the pictures we had of it off the camera. I think Missy took pictures of it but I haven't loaded hers onto the computer yet so you'll just have to believe me on that one.

One last picture:

This wasn't actually *at* the snow festival but it's a snow sculpture so I'm including it here. This was about a block or two from our hotel, isn't he cute?

We're coming to the close of our three-day weekend :( Had a good time though; last night I made lasagna and cherry pie for Lee's birthday and one of his presents was a Wii. He's been playing that all day while Amber, Missy and I were stamping/scrapping in the dining room. The Wii is such a good man-sitter :D He's going to try to download some of the real old-skool Nintendo games for me since those are the ones I like.

Happy Valentine's Day/President's Day!

2 comments:

CCsMom said...

Had to check it out before it's off to work I go. Caught Missy's pix on her Facebook page and I have to say I like the one of you and her and the little guy squinting his eyes. Pretty funny. Looks like you had a great time as I also saw the one of you sliding on an innertube. Fun, fun!

Hope you have a great week. Love ya! Mom

Liz Guidry said...

Great pictures! Thanks for taking one of you in it - you will thank me later :) hehe

I miss chatting with you!! I hope you get some scrappiness done and can share soon.