Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sapporo, Part 4: More Chocolate

Yes, there was a big earthquake this morning in Okinawa, but we're all fine. It woke us up around 5:30 and seemed to last a lot longer than it probably did in reality...it was like 6.9 or 7.1 on the Richter scale, I keep hearing both numbers, so suffice it to say it was no tiny temblor. Kind of freaked Sadie out a little and I think it knocked down a can of shaving cream in the shower, but other than that, zero damage. Except for that part where I couldn't get back to sleep. Other than that, it was kind of fun!

I know I'm behind with posting pictures of Sapporo so let's get back to it. Missy gave us a CD of her pictures so all the ones I have to share today are from her. About halfway through our tour of the chocolate factory my camera started acting weird so I'm glad she shared pics with us :) We did actually get to see the "factory" part of the chocolate factory:

They're making these little sandwich cookies, milk chocolate sandwiched between two really thin cookies and they are SO good (they gave each of us one free with our ticket). They had some fun murals up on the wall:

There was also a place where you could make your own chocolate house, like a gingerbread house but made from chocolate, but that took two hours so we opted out since we had to meet back up with the intrepid skiers in the afternoon. They did have some displays of some truly amazing cakes:

I was in awe of the teeny, tiny piped trim on this. Especially all the parts where it hangs down off the cake layers. That had to take forever!

After the factory part, they had just a few kinda odd things to see that seemed like afterthoughts. Giant shoes, for example:

And at the end of a long curtained hallway reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz was the Bocca della Verita (no clue if I'm spelling that right since I took French, not Italian)...

Ever see Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn? (If not, you should.) She puts her hand in the Mouth of Truth which is supposed to eat it if you've lied recently. This one made noises when you stuck your hand in his mouth.

Then there was a room that had a strange assortment of vintage toys and this head-scratcher:

Yeah, I know it's the Beatles, but why are they in front of an American flag? And what are they doing in a Japanese chocolate factory? These are mysteries which may never be solved. And it just keeps getting freakier...

I find kewpie dolls kind of sinister in the first place, but that bright red one? And the black one with the red eyes and lime green mohawk? So glad they don't live at my house. I'm pretty sure it was toys like these that inspired all those movies of the toys coming to life and killing people.

Here we are back outside in the big courtyard...if you look in the upper right corner, you'll see some animatronic chefs who were singing. Not really a song per se, more of a tuneless lalalalala kind of thing. Very weird, but hilarious at the same time.

The last thing we did was go down this little hill with some inner tubes, which was way fun! Here's me:

And Missy getting ready to go (she had the smaller inner tube, I'm not teeny tiny compared to her although it kinda looks like it if you think the inner tubes are the same size)...

Then we left the chocolate factory to head back to our hotel, but you'll have to tune in next time for Sapporo, Part 5 to see what came next.

But first, I had to share two more of Missy's pictures. Just be warned, this next picture may not be suitable for small children:

And now you know why Lee deleted the pictures off our camera. Between the Scary Michael snow sculpture and the devilicious kewpie dolls, I may have to sleep with a nightlight tonight. Just so you know, I intentionally put this on the bottom of the post just so you wouldn't get freaked out by it if you happened to haplessly wander by my blog. I think he needs a warning label.

One last pic:

Yep, Missy caught a picture of me trying to eat snow. Not sure why it was taken from this angle but that's ok, I think it's funny :)

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

Yes, your mother was worried about you -- all the way home from work. Hey, it's a mom's job, what can I say. So glad to hear all is well. You did see there was a larger earthquake on THIS side of the Pacific down in South American? See, these are scary business.

Anyway, got the blanket done and am up to get things packed and to the post office (your package included). Have a good day and I hope to speak to you tonight.
Love, Mom

Thoughts by B and M said...

I thought the Chocolate factory was one of the best parts! :) and why I took that picture of you catching snow was to show the snow in the air as well as your catching it....it sort of worked out.. :)

Giffysk8s said...

FREAKY kewpie dolls! I much prefer kokeshi dolls!

And ewwwwwww about the Michael!

LOVE the photo of you catching snowflakes on your tongue. I just taught Emma how to do that. So fun! After you move back to the states, you will have to come visit me in the winter so you can do this again!