Saturday, February 6, 2010

Splendid, Phase 1

It's been quite a while since I blogged anything about cross stitching, so I thought I'd share my newest project. I found this pattern on the Scarlet Quince website:

I know I've talked about it before and how I picked it because a) it's really cool (not to mention ORANGE) and b) it reminds me of the town my parents grew up in, which is Porterville, California. So anyway, I started work on it back in November, and this is how far I've gotten on it so far:

You wouldn't believe how many hours of work this represents, and I don't know for sure myself but let's just say it's a lot. This project is exponentially more detailed and complex than my last couple of projects, with lots of color changes...there are 66 different colors of floss used, and probably 2/3 of the symbols on the chart are blended colors, meaning one strand each of two different colors to be used at the same time. It's also big, 194 stitches wide by 176 tall, and since I'm using 16-count fabric that means it'll be just over 12 inches wide and 11 inches tall, and as it's completely cross stitched (no white space) that means there are 34,144 stitches. That's a lot. So far I've done 3,559, which means I'm just over 10% done. Kind of discouraging at this point...but also fun because I enjoy the process of stitching and watching the design slowly come to life. I'm funny like that.

So yeah, that's my new project. I also have the pattern for a second Scarlet Quince project, and thanks to my awesome mother I now have the floss to get started on it, but first I have to finish that pesky paper (I'm at 8.5 pages at the moment). I just saw where they have a new pattern with Texas bluebonnets on it, that one is pretty too :) I tend to go back and forth with my hobbies; for a while it seems like I want to do nothing but stitch, sometimes I just want to scrapbook, and other times I read like a crazy person. As soon as this paper is done (Lee is so tired of hearing me talk about it) I have to get started on several baby books, and I just decided earlier today that I won't be taking a class next term either so I'll have time to work on crafty projects for a while longer. There was one class I'd been considering, but we will (hopefully) be in China on one of the weekends that it meets, so no class. I will be taking one this summer though, and we'll see what they offer for the first term of the next school year in August. I'll have at least 8 classes out of 12 done by the time we leave.

Speaking of leaving, we are taking off tomorrow for our trip to Sapporo! Lee already has the alarm set for the ungodly hour of 4:00 a.m. since we have to meet up with our tour group at 5:45. We decided not to take the laptop with us (we plan to be too busy to want to check our email anyway, lol!) so you won't hear anything else from me till after we get back on Wednesday. We will be in Sapporo for their annual snow/ice festival (not sure which one it is, snow or ice, but I'm sure we'll see both) and Lee is going skiing/snowboarding one day while we're there. Missy and I are both non-skiers (I keep thinking "This is how Sonny Bono died!" when I think about skiing) so we will form our own non-ski group one day while Lee goes off with Jamie and Dean and whoever else is skiing in our tour group. Should be lots of fun, we promise to take a picture or two (maybe even one with us IN it!). Teehee!

For now I suppose I should keep going on my list of things to do before we leave. I can cross off "update blog", but I still need to finish laundry and pack and take Sadie and Vader over to Amber's house. She's going to have TONS of dog hair floating around her house for the next couple of days! So TTFN, and I'll be back in a few days with snow pictures :)

1 comment:

Giffysk8s said...

This is so pretty! Can't to see the finished project. Off to check out that site!

Have a fabulous trip!!!