Sunday, March 21, 2010

New & Improved Baby Book, Now In Purple!

K, so I've been working really hard lately to finish up a baby book so I can send it back to my mom in Texas since she's going to the baby shower in question. The mommy-to-be is my friend Melissa, whom I've known since middle school, and I hope she doesn't read this blog because if she does then the surprise is going to be ruined :p Anyway, Melissa looooooves purple (one of the reasons we get along so famously, besides her being a Libra since Libras get along great with Aquarius, not that I put stock in that kind of thing but it's fun and I digress) so since she's having a baby girl, I gussied this book up with as much purple as I could manage. Unfortunately it's been really hazy out today so the colors are all wonkalicious in the pictures but I simply could not wait any longer to share them here (I may try to take photos again tomorrow and see if they turn out any better before I upload them on Splitcoast). Without further ado, here it is:

My mom bought an album, so I'll just be sending her the pages and she'll put them in the book for me. The album she bought is a pretty good match for Orchid Opulence she tells me, so I broke out my Cottage Wall designer paper and went to town. I wanted the first and last pages, She's Here, and One Year Old layout to all kind of coordinate.

For some reason I was really tuned in to butterflies when I was making this, so I just went with the butterflies as my theme in addition to the purple. I tried hard to make every layout have a different color base and this one was driving me nuts since I'd already done pink, green, and orchid pages. Finally had a "well duh!" moment and did white, which I think makes for a more delicate-looking newborn baby layout.

More Cottage Wall paper (good thing I bought a couple more packs of it, hehe). I really wanted to include the hydrangea stamp on this one, and I like Mel so good I even used some of my retired In Color paper for this (Cool Caribbean and Wild Wasabi; mixing that with this year's Rich Razzleberry, I made a layout with In Colors from three separate years. Go me.)

The Occasions Mini catalog shows the animals from Fox & Friends with letters by them like they're children's blocks, so that's what I went with on this one. I kind of wish I'd put the F on the other side of the fox though. Many thanks to Amber who lent me the scallop square Nestability dies for this (and Amber, I'll get those back to you soon, I plomise).

Since this book is going to Texas, I went with the cowboy stamp for the July layout. Not entirely pleased with this one; I think I should have stamped the background. For the other two books I'm going to use a stamp set that will come out in the Summer Mini catalog but I couldn't wait that long to do this one.

K, the colors on this photo are *totally* off, it looks much better in real life I swear. I looove how that patterned paper kind of has a seaweedy type vibe, it's totally perfect for this layout.

This one is almost exactly the same as the two books I did last year (because it was pretty much perfect if I do say so myself), except I punched the apples out in circles instead of cutting them out and I remembered to stamp the teeny apple on the journaling block. I also simplified things a bit from the last two books; I tore the patterned paper border on every layout instead of sometimes doing a little cardstock border next to it. Made it go faster and I like that look anyway.

I didn't put any accents on the lower left of this layout because I wanted more of the patterned paper to be visible; should I add something there or no? The original version had three punched-out pumpkins there. The bats are a new addition though since I didn't have that stamp set when I did the last pair of books.

Not entirely pleased with how my stamped accent came out on this one; I did it before I borrowed the Nestabilities from Amber and I think it would have looked better with the larger scalloped squares. Hmph. I bought that patterned paper pack specifically to use on this layout though since it's got the Elegant Eggplant in it.

I wonder if the swirly background is a little too much on this one, but I like the colors a lot. I was inspired by a couple of old color challenges. I really like the Ruby Red base for this.

I had made a layout like this with different colors but decided to take another hack at it and do something with purple in it. I was inspired by my friend Missy to do the snowflakes like this; she's making a baby book for one of her friends and I just really liked how she used this snowflake stamp set.

The purple-fied February layout...I used the newer I {Heart} Hearts stamp set on this instead of the older Happy Hearts that I used on last year's books.

Missy inspired me to put some Night of Navy on my March St. Patrick's Day layout. She tried to stamp clovers in navy ink on her baby book but I wouldn't let her...I told her it is against the law for clovers/shamrocks to be any color but GREEN!

I so love this bunny stamp and lookie there, I managed to sneak in some more butterflies. For last year's baby books, I had some other accents on the pages but I left them off this time so more of the patterned paper would show, which is good since this is such a large pattern.

Amber sold me her Crazy for Cupcakes stamp set and I couldn't resist using it on this layout. I got the Birthday Bliss stamp set for free because of Sale-A-Bration, woohoo! This layout is darker than I really wanted it to be but I couldn't think of a different color to use for the page base.

And here's the last page, stamped to coordinate with the first one. Whoops, I forgot to put a little stamp on the journaling block...if you look back, I stamped something on each one of the other layouts. Each one also has a 3-inch border of patterned paper and the letters are cut out at our local craft store. Let me tell you how much I love this alphabet, I so want these dies for myself. Unfortunately, the alphabet costs $675 (Google Accucut Fairy Tale Alphabet if you don't believe me) and the numbers are another $275. Ignoring the fact that it took me two YEARS to pony up the money for a Big Shot (and that was only $100) I've started saving up money for these dies. I think they might fit in the Big Shot so at least I wouldn't have to buy the machine. So far I've saved five bucks (and I also spent four bucks this week going to Crafty Things to use theirs!). This could take a while.

I've got two more books to finish now, better get crackin'! No rest for the scrappy!

5 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Oh, Miss C! I need to make a few of these baby albums. Do you mind if I use your pages to springboard ideas? You can say no!

Looks like you include 3 4x6 photos and 3 3.5 x 5 photos on each page. Are those the correct measurements for photos, or are those your mag sizes?

As for those cartridges: there are sooooooooo many fabulous font cartridges for your Cricut! And they only cost @ $30-60 each at ohmycrafts. You could have ALL of them for way less moolah! BTW, how big are your letters? 2"?

This really is pretty. I need to make a girl one, and you so know I am gonna use purple!!!

Christy Lynn said...

Steal away, Vicki! If I cared that someone might copy my stuff, I wouldn't post it all over the Internet ;) I cut my mats 5.25"x7.25", 4.25"x6.25", and 3.5"x5.25", so they're a quarter inch larger than the "standard" photo sizes, or at least what they sell at Winkflash. A lot of the journaling blocks or stamped accents are 4x4 with a quarter inch larger mat; other than that, I just eyeball it to what fits. Each layout has one 5x7 and then the two smaller sizes however they fit in, and I did a 3" border of patterned paper on each page with a torn edge. If you want any of the same stamped images I used, just let me know and I'd be happy to stamp some for you.

I know they have fonts for the Cricut, but I'm SO in love with this one!! ;) I do believe it is two inches tall. I need to find out if there's a font like this on that SCAL program or whatever it's called that Amber has, but for now, my five bucks is in the piggy bank for some ridiculously expensive dies, bwahaha!

Cindy said...

This is amazing. What a great gift. Your friend is going to absolutely love it.

Zeus and Twinkle Haskins said...

Beautiful! These are so cool. WOW, great job.

Liz Guidry said...

Love it!!