Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sapporo, Part 9: Lions and Tigers and POLAR Bears, Oh My!

Yes, the animal I most wanted to see at the zoo was the polar bear. This zoo had a momma bear and two "teenage" bears...they're I think a year and a half old now, and just a little bit smaller than the momma bear. They were also at the very back of the zoo so we ran all the way back there first thing to see them. One of the kid bears was a total ham for the cameras.


I just love the little bear feets :)

Yeah I know, that's a raven, not a polar bear...but this raven kept landing in the polar bears' enclosure and one of the kid bears would chase it back out.

See? There they are together.


So who knew that polar bears had purplish tongues?



I think I took at least 150 pictures just of the polar bears, so these were just some of the best ones I got. I also bought several polar bear souvenirs, like a coffee mug at Starbucks (I don't drink coffee, but I do like hot chocolate and hot spiced tea), a magnet, a set of postcards with pictures of the polar bear babies when they were smaller, and a couple of things for my polar bear-loving friend, Sarah. And, of course, I still have my first polar bear, a Coca-Cola bear named Juan who's been with me for about fifteen years now. But I think this is the first time I got to see live polar bears in person, so that was pretty cool!

4 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Such awesome pics!

I am bummed that I didn't guess. Oh, well! Had I known they had purplish tongues, then of course I would have guessed! LOL

BTW, your camera takes great pics!

Thoughts by B and M said...

Of the 150...did you take a picture of the bear standing on his hind legs waving at the crowd??? Hum??? Did you???

teeheehee! you knew someone had to say that! :)

If you watched all your polar bear pictures in a row, meaning just click next until you were through view, it almost looked like a movie!

CCsMom said...

Oh, I am SOOOO ashamed of myself. How did I not know your favorite would be the polar bear, especially after having taken care of Juan personally? Poor Juan and his chewed-off nose. Yep, I am ashamed. Cute, cute pictures, though. They are really hams.

Start of the work week. Have severeal things coming up to look forward to, though -- like Mel's baby shower, my friend's 50th birthday party -- the black tie. And Dad and I are starting to devise a plan of attack for the home improvement projects. Yay! I'll be glad when I see progress.

Love ya, kiddo! Great talking to you this weekend. Let me know when the BAYLOR BEAR shirts arrive. -- Mom

Liz Guidry said...

Wow - great pics girl! I can't believe you saw polar bears. I didn't even know they had any over there.