Friday, June 25, 2010

Cruising the Li River

Wow, what a week it's been! I was crazy busy at work all week and then we got the news that we'll be moving next year...to ENGLAND. Squuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Anyway, it's going to stay crazy at work for the next few weeks at least since I just got a new boss too, but I'm hanging in there. And I'm back with *lots* of pictures today!

So when I last left off, we had finished out the day in the mountains (and all those zillions of stairs). The next morning, we got up and checked out of our hotel, and then embarked upon a river cruise on the Li River. Here's the boat we were on:

Well, that's three boats, but we were on one of them, I forget which. We were set to do about a 60-kilometer cruise up the river. It took a little bit after we boarded before the boat left the dock, so we staked out our seats and...

Played some more Uno :) Throughout our trip, we played Uno at a lot of the hotels and airports, anytime that we were too tired to go exploring on our own anywhere (or, in the case of the airports, were unable to explore anywhere once we looked through the shops in the terminals). Anyway, once we got moving, we all went out on the deck to look around and take some photos.

It was a pretty decent-sized boat, maybe 100 people? And lucky for me, big enough and the river calm enough that I didn't have any issues with motion sickness (I think this was the first time I went on a boat after the ill-fated whale watching expedition last year).

Ah, once again we have no feets. This is the "Captain Morgan" pose that Lee and Bennet seem to do for pictures just about everywhere we go :)

Ever seen a little old lady with blue hair? Yes? Ok, then how about purple?

Not just a *little* purple either! And is she picking that other person's pocket?!

We saw lots of funny-shaped mountains and water buffalo.

Me and my sweetie pie!


Bennet and Missy. But you knew that already because you've all been looking at China pictures and they've been in lots of them :)



Lee was in photography heaven...we have a *ton* of pictures from the river boat cruise, so I'm just trying to cherry-pick the best ones and it's still a lot of pictures.


More cormorants to go fishing on the river.


We were warned by our tour guide before we left that there were some tiny boats that would come up and latch onto our boat and try to sell the tourists a bunch of junk. We did see quite a few, but we already knew that everything they had was junk, so we ignored them...the Australian tourists on board, however, did not, which of course made more and more of them latch on to our boat.

Wonder how much of that stuff they actually sell every day? Doesn't seem like a fun way to make a living to me...and imagine how cold and wet their feet are all day.




Missy and I got these hats a couple months before we left just because we thought they were too cool (and cheap--seven bucks). Do we look like movie stars? Maybe? :)

My hat kept trying to fly off, so I didn't wear it for too long. Missy had better luck with hers though.





Lee is holding a 20-RMB bill; the picture on one side is of these hills here. I don't think we kept one of the 20s...we do have a little bit of Chinese money still though. And some Hong Kong coins that I need to take out of my yen purse.

We saw this pagoda up on the hill as the boat was getting ready to dock at the end of the cruise. We ate lunch on the boat (didn't take pictures of that part) and then got off the boat about 1 or 2 in the afternoon.


Lee and our tour guide, William.

And here's the four of us inside the boat not too long before we docked. The river cruise and the trip into the mountains were Lee's absolute favorite parts of the whole China trip. The only bad thing is now we have a mountain of photos to sort through and he doesn't want me to print any out until he goes through and edits our favorites. Looks like it's going to be a while before I have a China scrapbook :p But that's okay, at least I'm writing it all down here and I still have my little red book that I wrote in while we were there.

Gotta run and bring Lee something for lunch since he is working today (even though it's Saturday). Toodles!

4 comments:

CCsMom said...

Wow, aren't those mountains shaped funny?! When we were in California, I was looking at those mountains and seeing the ridges in them and how they were pushed up with great force. Wonder why these are shaped this way? To make them look more oriental maybe? Ha! Loved how the fog kisses the tops in some pictures. Truly amazing. I LOVED Lee's reaction when I asked about the scenery on the cruise. He said, "I just don't have the words to describe it. It was INCREDIBLELY beautiful." Yes, it was.

Christy Lynn said...

The mountains are shaped that way just due to erosion. All the soft stone has eroded and it left behind these funkalicious peaks. So there you have it, folks! :)

Lee Stanford said...

More on the 20 RMB shot and why that's such an important photo (I have tons more without me in them).

The picture on the back of the 20 RMB was taken from the exact same spot! Additionally, that same location has been the site of some of China's most famous artistic paintings. There are tons of articles on the internet about that location. Look up art and Li River. Or see if you can find a picture of a 20 RMB and you'll see why I was so excited to take those photos.

Giffysk8s said...

I appreciate the info Lee gave about that 20 RMB shot. He is such a good tour guide! But really, I think we he was just a wee bit envious of the hats, and since he didn't have one he had to come up with something of his own so that he could be featured on your blog. LOL (I kid, Lee, I kid~I really do like the scoop you gave and the photo!)

Speaking of the hat, you look FABULOUS, dahling!

Love the scenery. You are making me really want to go to China! Your pics are awesome!

Hope you can catch up on some sleep this weekend.