Monday, June 7, 2010

Moving on to Guilin

I swan (my great grandmother used to say that instead of "I swear"), there are just not enough hours in the day to do everything I want and need to do. Especially since I'm still tired so much of the time...going back in to the doc on Thursday to check the thyroid thing again. Blah.

Anyway, short post for today...after we left Shanghai, we arrived in Guilin:

And that's us at the Guilin airport. Pretty big airport for a rather small city in China (and you know a "small city" in China would be a pretty large one most other places), but Guilin is really getting more and more tourist traffic so this is probably a good thing. We met our new guide, William (who is totally AWESOME) and then had an hour-long van ride to get to our hotel.

I couldn't find a picture of the hotel room but I bet Missy and Bennet have one somewhere...this is the courtyard area. So we settled into the hotel and then decided to venture out on foot to a restaurant that William recommended for dinner.

There's us in front of Rosemary's Cafe. We liked it so much, we went back again the next night. They seem to have EVERYTHING...Chinese, Italian, Mexican, hamburgers...pretty much everything. We went there twice but never actually ate *inside* the cafe; we sat at the table behind Missy. It was fun to people-watch all the pedestrians going by, but we did have several beggars come harass us.

Lee, Bennet and Missy decided to try Tsingtao, a Chinese beer, not realizing when they ordered that it would come in those ginormous bottles. The second time we ate at Rosemary's, they ordered one Tsingtao and three glasses :) I, on the other hand, stuck to this:

And now you know how to write "Coca-Cola" in Chinese. Heh. Lee thought I was silly for taking a picture of the Coke can but I figured it would be neat to have in my scrapbook twenty years from now. At the rate I'm going, I'll probably still be working on my China scrapbook twenty years from now!

Anyway, the food was most excellent AND it cost us only 200 RMB for four people, which works out to about thirty dollars. Not bad at all! I had a margherita pizza the first night and Lee and I split baked spaghetti the second night. We all split some garlic bread which tasted fabulous but then of course we all had dragon breath.

There's Lee and me on the second night. That camera backpack that I'm holding is terrifically awesome, I don't think I've talked about that yet. It's a one-shoulder backpack and a lot lighter than the first camera backpack we got, and we were able to put our passports and wallets and stuff in the inner pocket on this one and then close up the bag so it would be pretty much impossible for any wannabe pickpockets to get at them. Oh, and I'm also holding the card we got at the jade place that tells a little bit about pixiu.

One last picture, just 'cause I thought it was funny :) Next post I'll have some really fabulous pictures from the mountains. Actually, those will probably take a couple of posts to share...

3 comments:

CCsMom said...

You KNOW I check every single day for something new . . . !!! I am so enjoying this. Hope you are having a great week. Yeah, I'm tired, too. But I've not gotten back into a normal sleeping pattern after our trip. Love you mucho!!! Mom

Missy said...

The Sheraton Hotel pictures are on the CD we gave you - actually the picture of the bathroom that was in the previous post was from that Hotel - had a REALL big headboard???

Mmmm RoseMary's - so wanting some garlic bread and cheap dinner!

ALso, noticed you were reading about.................................................................
PIXIU! ;)

CCsMom said...

Boy, those long-necks look like they must be from TEXAS!!! They are certainly Texas-sized!