Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tokyo DisneySea: The Hottest Place on Earth?



After all the hard work of climbing (part of) Mount Fuji, we decided to go to Tokyo DisneySea. It's like Disneyland, only with more water. That's the theory, at any rate...to be honest, there seemed to be a dearth of attractions that involved getting soaking wet, which would have been nice since it was (as my mother would say) hotter than a two-dollar pistol out there. Believe it or not, this was Missy's very first experience in a Disney park, and Bennet went when he was little enough that he doesn't remember it so I don't think that counts.

We waited about an hour (in the heat) to buy tickets to get in the park, and this is what you see right at the entrance:

I kinda wanted to go swimming in the fountain like that lady on "Under the Tuscan Sun". But I didn't.

I did see some kimono butts, I know how you guys like the kimono butts! :) I don't think that a kimono was a really practical wardrobe decision for walking around a theme park in the heat all day (did I mention it was hot?) So pretty much the first thing we did was go eat something.

Missy got the kid's plate, and she was especially tickled at the Mickey-shaped carrot.

The centerpiece of the park isn't a castle, it's a volcano:

Which is related to the DisneySea theme because...volcanoes sometimes make islands? The volcano also occasionally spewed fire, but I couldn't get a picture of it. Anyway, that's what I wanted to go check out first, which we discovered was a Journey to the Center of the Earth ride. On the way, we had to stop and get Missy some Minnie Mouse ears:

And then we waited in line for over two and a half hours for a rollercoaster that only had one good drop.

Which made Lee crazy.

And crazy is apparently contagious.

Missy and Bennet had some friends of theirs meet us at the park; they used to be neighbors in California. So here's a group shot of all of us:

It's hotter than it looks, people. Really. Unfortunately we didn't find the *indoor* part of the park until it was almost dark:

K, so this is definitely sea-related! Missy just HAD to go on the DisneySea version of the teacups, and only Lee was brave enough to go with her:

And here's what it looked like from inside the ride...

It always amazes me how much work the Disney folks put into decorating pretty much every square inch of the theme park. It is truly astounding to consider.

At this point I was still looking for my own headgear since my Minnie Mouse ears are AWOL:

Ursula was fun, but who wants a giant octopus-squid monster perched on their noggin? So I went with something else. Oh, just for funsies, here's what the topside of Triton's Kingdom looks like:

I suppose this is the closest thing that DisneySea has to a princess castle. Pretty cool.

We never got on the boat, but thought it looked pretty cool. Not a bad picture for a little point and shoot camera, eh?

We were heading back to the Indiana Jones ride when we saw this perfect picture-taking opportunity:

Followed by this awesome picture on the ride itself:

Click to see it bigger...we're in the back row :D

And here we are at the end of the day right before we got on the train to go back to our hotel. One of these days I'll get to stay in one of the Disney hotels right at the park...but not this time. All in all, a pretty cool park (well, aside from the blistering heat of Tokyo in August!) but I have to admit, DisneyLand in California will always be my favorite. One last photo:

Here we are on the train, so you can see my new Minnie ears :)

4 comments:

Thoughts by B and M said...

Indiana Jones Photo: Best. Photo. Ever! :)

CCsMom said...

I just love it. Dad is hounding me to leave, so I best get with it. To the Rangers game we go. At least we'll be in an air conditioned suite -- but we're having a cool front move in -- which means it's just below 90. Ha!

Giffysk8s said...

LOVE your new Minnie ears!

Sure wish I could see that park! I love the Disney parks. I'm with you~Disneyland in CA is my favorite! And it would be so fun to go there together~and yes, I would happily buy you a princess ensemble! You know they have Tinkerbell ones, too.

Liz Guidry said...

It looked like so much fun! Love your Minnie ears and I see you are wearing an 'eskimo joe's shirt'. You guys are too funny with the Indie pic. Hope you bought it!