Monday, September 20, 2010

Sayonara, Okinawa

It's been a busy couple of weeks with us getting ready to leave Okinawa...I have pictures from the last couple weeks, but I haven't gotten to upload them to the laptop yet so I'm just yakkin' tonight. We've run around like crazy trying to get everything ready for our move; we've hit all our favorite restaurants in the last few days, spent a lot of time with friends, and mailed a bunch of stuff to ourselves in the States :) Even so, it's going to be a tight squeeze to get everything in our suitcases tomorrow morning. Can't believe this is our very last night in Okinawa! Seems like we just got here a few weeks ago rather than over two and a half years ago. I'm really going to miss it here--mostly I'll miss the friends we've made, but I'll also miss the island itself. Even so, I'm pretty excited about what's coming up next for us.

We couldn't have gotten everything done prior to our move without the help of lots of friends--Bennet and Missy (they helped us clean our house! and they're mailing some stuff for us after we get to England), Amber and Billy (they took the dogs for us when we left our house so we didn't have to worry about putting them in a kennel), Sarah and Scott (who lent us their vacuum cleaner which Lee then accidentally threw down the stairs...at midnight), Ernest and Marietta (they lent us a bunch of stuff when we were cleaning up the house; we would not have passed our housing inspection without their broom and shovel and I don't know what all else).

I kinda feel like I'm giving my acceptance speech at the Moving Academy Awards or something. It's late and we're waiting for one more load of laundry to get out of the dryer so we can pack up and go to bed for a few hours. Tomorrow we're off to the airport...then it's aloha, Hawaii!

6 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Sounds like a bittersweet transition, but those are usually the best kind.

Wishing you lots of R&R in Hawaii!

Sparkle said...

Travel safe! And have lots of fun in Hawaii!

CCsMom said...

Boo Hoo! You have some great friends there. So you've made some wonderful memories. You know how WE still talk about our time in Okinawa -- over 30 years ago. So you will do the same. Love you and CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!! Mom

Amber Hight said...

I miss you already Chris:( Safe travels and enjoy your time in Hawaii, I LOVE it there!

Thoughts by B and M said...

I'm not going to say Sayonara...but just C-ya later! :) Enjoy Hawaii and time with the fam before tea and crumpets with Liz! :)

jokinz said...

Have a safe trip - I look forward to visiting England vicariously through you (and maybe getting a swift kick to get my scrapbooking done as well)!