Monday, October 18, 2010

Driving the North Shore (Part 1)

I haven't located a cord to hook my camera up to the computer so I can upload a picture of my stitching project, so I suppose it's more Hawaii pictures :) I'll find that cord sometime this week.

Lee and I rented a car for the duration of our stay on Hawaii, which turned out to be really nice because we were able to take a meandering drive along the North Shore and just stop whenever we thought we could get some good pictures.

Yep, Hawaii really does look like the postcards :) My only problem with these pictures? We got some kind of schmutz on the camera lens and didn't notice it until we'd taken a bajillion pictures, so now we (read: Lee) will have to edit out the stupid check mark on a lot of our photos from this day. See?

Grumble. Well, it doesn't show up hardly at all on some of the pictures, it's mainly a problem on the ones with a lot of sky.

There's my sweetie pie! We found a little town when we were driving around, so we got off the main road to drive around a bit and found this park, so we got out to take a bunch of pictures down by the beach.

I think that picture is really cool, how Lee snapped it right as the spray was coming up. We got back in the car and drove along a bit further until I saw this and wanted to take pictures here:

Isn't it gorgeous? After we got out of the car, we saw a bunch of people standing on the beach down there, so we walked over to see what everyone was looking at. Imagine our glee when we saw this:

There were two huge sea turtles up on the beach. One looked like she'd been there for a while, just soaking up the warmth on the sand, while the other one was still making its way over the rocks to find a comfy place to drowse in the sun.

There were two people from some kind of conservation society or something that had set up a red rope around the turtles and wouldn't let people get any closer than about 5 feet away, but that was still plenty close up to get some really good photos. Lee took a bunch, and then I took a bunch, and he says I have to go through them all and decide which ones we want to keep :p

That shadow in the wave is another turtle...this one didn't end up coming ashore, though.

I think this one might be my favorite of the pictures I took; I waited for the water to come up around the turtle just right before I took it.

Here's a wider view of the beach; one of the "rocks" in the front is actually the turtle. Pretty good camouflage.

Lee and I were both really happy that I'd asked to stop at this place since this was the only time we saw the sea turtles. It was a beautiful day for a leisurely drive around the island! I've got quite a few more pictures from this drive, but I figured I'd break them up into two posts since there are so many. And I still need to find that camera cord so I can upload some photos of my orange crate label project.
Seven years ago today, the happiest day of my life, Lee and I got married in a beautiful wedding ceremony. Happy anniversary, sweetie pie! Love you to pieces!! And not just 'cause you took me to Hawaii ;)

6 comments:

Amber Hight said...

Lovely pictures my girl! I remember the sea turtles, they're were tons of them! I think they're so cute and your pic of that one is awesome, you should submit it to a magazine:)
Did you guys make it to Haliewa? I think that's how it's spelled, that's where my mom and dad lived! If you went all the way up the North Shore you definitely drove through it!
I can't wait to go back to Hawaii, it's so gorgeous!!!
I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee said...

First, Happy Anniversary Christy, I love you!!!

Second, I'm pretty sure I still have the camera cord since I still have the big camera. Want me to send it in the mail?

Giffysk8s said...

These are FAB photos! That turtle shot is awesome! These pictures are just so Hawaii-ish. Makes me want to return!

Well, happy 7th anniversary! Sorry you and your sweetheart are spending it apart. Maybe he should show his love by sending you to Boston! LOL

Okay...gotta look at your turtle pics again. They're too cool!

Giffysk8s said...

Just showed Rick your Hawaii pics. He's 1) jealous, 2) quite impressed by your turtle photo, 3) jealous some more, and 4) says Happy Anniversary! Though we both feel old knowing that we had just celebrated our 20th anniversary right before you two got married. ;)

Thoughts by B and M said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

the turtle pictures, considering turtles are my FAV of all times (besides Baylor of course)!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOO glad you got to see those while you were there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss you!!!!!!!

Liz Guidry said...

Wow, Christy - looks like heaven :) Fantastic turtle picture - sometimes it pays to wait for the perfect picture!

Happy anniversary to you and lee and we can't wait to see you in Jolly 'ole England.
xoxo