Thursday, October 21, 2010

Driving the North Shore (Part 2), Now With Flowers!

I still haven't located a cord to hook up my camera to the computer so I can post a progress picture of my cross stitch, but that's mostly because I keep forgetting to ask my parental units if they have one that's compatible with my camera. You'll just have to trust me for now that I've done a lot of work on it :)

So here I am back with more Hawaii pictures. Not long after we left the turtles, I saw a sign for a botanical garden so we figured oh sure why not. You know how I like to take pictures of flowers, so Lee just handed the camera over pretty much as soon as we got in the garden.

Pretty, huh? I still have to get Lee's help to get the camera settings right, although I am trying to learn. I don't want to be stuck in "auto" mode forever with that big expensive camera.

I think this was called a yellow lollipop tree or something like that. Kinda cool though, huh?

This was way up in a tree, but we thought it was just so cool to look at. Did a pretty good job of zooming in on it. I haven't a clue what a lot of the plants are that we looked at, I just like to take pictures of the pretty ones. I could go the Cake Wrecks route and say that all flowers are daisies :)

You know how palm fronds turn yellow and then fall off the tree? Lee was trying to help this one along, but it wasn't ready to go yet.

Look, red daisies! I actually think I know what this one is, I saw it at the botanical gardens on Okinawa...it's Chinese ixora.

And this one is pink ginger. I liked the lighting in this photo, although I think I got an even better one in the gardens at our hotel.

And there was a little waterfall at the end of the path in the gardens (this is Lee's photo). Usually they'll let people go swimming but they said the water was too dirty that day to let people swim in it...yeah, I wouldn't want to take a dip in that.

Here's my photo of the waterfall. I have to say though, I think Hiji Falls on Okinawa has this one beat :)

There's a funky-looking daisy for ya :)

I saw a sign about this type of bird, I think it was endangered or something and the garden was a habitat for it. But I forget what kind of bird it was...maybe it's a daisy bird. Hehe.

Lee pulled a branch down closer to us so I could get this picture. It's...another red daisy!

We were almost back to the entrance when we saw this peacock, who was apparently tired of papparazzi trying to take his picture because he was singularly uncooperative. My brother and I used to chase peacocks around a park in California when we went to visit our great grandmother, so I know that peacocks are really fast when it suits them, so I didn't attempt to chase it down for a better photo. We used to chase them for feathers when we were younger.

After we left the garden, we continued our drive around the north side of the island and just stopped whenever we saw a really good photo opportunity, although I suppose we could have stopped just about anywhere and gotten some really good pictures (except for that stupid but of SCHMUTZ on the camera lens! Gah!)

The Blue Angels were in town for an airshow, flying around this end of the island although I don't think they're in any of the pictures I picked to post here.

One place we stopped was near this place that does horseback rides, and this mountain was just behind the ranch. We got to see a lot more of the mountains a little bit later in our stay.

One last picture of the clouds touching the tops of the mountains. I actually took this picture from the car as we were zipping down the highway. It got overcast a couple of times while we were in Hawaii, but the only time it really rained was the morning we went to Pearl Harbor. Other than that, totally gorgeous!

2 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Love all the red daisies. :)

My favorite pic is the last one~love the juxtaposition of the bright blue sky against the shadowy clouds. Nice! Except for that funky check in the upper right corner. LOL So sorry...I know it really bugs you! I also like the photo of the branch~you know how I love to photograph branches! And Lee is quite the branch holder. :)

Amber Hight said...

Hey, it's time for an update:p