Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Polynesian Cultural Center

Here's the halo picture Lee was talking about from the USS Arizona memorial, look at the sky right above the flagpole at the memorial:

Kinda neat, huh? I thought it was. Here's another cool picture Lee took when I was still sleeping off jetlag that first day:

So, after going to Pearl Harbor in the morning, we spent the late afternoon and evening at this place:

It was really interesting...they've got 8 different areas kind of like the "lands" at Disneyland but each of these corresponds to a real Polynesian culture, like Samoa, New Zealand, Hawaii, and, um, whatever the other five were 'cause I don't remember and I don't have the brochure handy. We did a thing where we got there at 4 in the afternoon so we only had a little bit of time to explore the place, but then we did a luau dinner and a neat show. So scroll on!

The park was totally beautiful, lots of flowers everywhere but what else would you expect in Hawaii. Oops, I forgot to get the photo *without* the person on the bridge...oh well.

Some plumeria just because I thought they were beautiful :)

Speaking of good-lookin', hey, it's my hubby! My hubba-hubba hubby! :D The first thing we did, on the advice of the nice people at the ticket booth, was take a little canoe ride around the park. Perhaps unfortunately, Lee let me have the camera for the canoe ride, so a bunch of the photos came out kinda blurry. Grr. One day I really will learn how to use all the settings on that fantabulous camera.

K, so I suppose this is the same bridge from up above, but this time from canoe-level and without the person on it. So score one for me, right? I'm skipping the rest of the photos from the canoe ride because this is pretty much as good as it got. Anyway, after that, we headed over to the Samoa pavilion and caught the tail end of a performance.

This lady's back-up dancers were totally hilarious. Check this out:

I SO wish that this photo didn't have the extra arm in it, both the lady in front of him and the dude on the steps behind him just because it looks weird. We took like 20 pictures of this dude and this one totally cracks me up. That look of total concentration....ha!
After the dance ended, this announcer dude started talking about how the Samoans climb the palm trees to get coconuts, and then they had this guy scale this tree in about 20 seconds:

He was probably at least a good 50 feet off the ground I think. Then the announcer told him he'd climbed the wrong tree since this one didn't have any coconuts on it, so he suggested the dude jump to the adjacent tree.

So here's how it went:
Tree climber: Are you ready?
Crowd: Yeah!
Tree climber: Are you ready?!
Crowd: Yeah!!
Tree climber: Are you CRAZY?!
Then we all laughed and he climbed back down. The announcer said that he was all buff and stuff because he does the Tree 90X workout program. Heh. Aheh. Heh.
Then we headed on over to the luau. It was really hard to get good pictures there and I already had like 18 pictures on this post, so I'm not going to post any of the performers or anything. I will, however, show you what we had to drink (the picture of me and Lee together really didn't turn out all that well, so just me):
Strawberry smoothies in hollowed-out pineapples. Fabulous. We also had kahlua pig and lots of pineapple. I must say, I've developed quite the taste for pineapple the last couple of years. I got one here in Texas that was fabulous--sweet rather than tart. Mmmmm. I have another one I need to cut up but I digress.

It was starting to get dark when we got done with the luau; I just thought this silhouette-y picture was kind of cool.

This one even more so. Anyway, we made our way over to the theater to see a show called Ha: Breath of Life. It was pretty good; lots of dancing and music and stuff.

Lee tried for a while to get pictures of the performers just because he likes a challenge. We couldn't use a flash, and we were sitting kind of high up, so it did make picture-taking difficult.

This is the background; they lit up the cliffs different colors and they had a couple of flat areas part of the way up that they used for parts of the performance.

There it is lit up blue, kinda cool, huh? Want to see Lee's favorite part of the show? Here it is:

Fire! Fire pretty, we like fire. After a while Lee gave up on the camera so he could just sit back and enjoy the show. It ended around 9:00 p.m. I think, and then we had to drive over an hour to get back to our hotel room and man, was I a pooped puppy at that point. But it was fun!
We've had some *fabulous* weather in Texas lately, I mean seriously beautiful. I've been really enjoying my daily walks with Sadie and Vader; we usually go down towards the elementary and middle schools I attended, and since most of the streets down that way have sidewalks, we ramble through the neighborhoods. I don't think we've done exactly the same walk twice. It's been fun for me to just enjoy the beautiful weather and look at the houses--people have their Halloween decorations up, and it won't be long till the Christmas stuff goes up. We don't get all that much fall color here in Texas, although I did see a tree today that is all red and orange on one side and the rest of it is still totally green--it looks like the leaves were just spraypainted on one side or something. At any rate, it's been a blessing to take time to enjoy the little things.
If I can figure out how to upload pictures from my camera onto my parents' computer, then I am seriously overdue for a progress report on my cross stitch project. So next time it will either be that or more Hawaii pictures.

4 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

So glad you went to the PCC! We enjoyed it there. Like your artsy shots, too! I am mostly glad that you and Ree had a nice romantic getaway albeit a brief one.

So I must know: what are your fur babies gonna be for Halloween? I let Emma choose for Tiffany. She went with a hot dog!!!

Can't wait to see your new Splendid photos! So I have been sitting here all day trying NOT to thing about tomorrow, so I've been looking at bazillions of patterns. Got overwhelming! I need to finish my Degas, then maybe that new Monet and the cornucopia. Of course, I wouldn't buy either pattern in case I get bad news tomorrow and die before I can stitch all of these! LOL

Just trying to survive until tomorrow. Things are so
not good. Sorry for being so whiney. :(

Giffysk8s said...

Think not thing...

Thoughts by B and M said...

Love that you got to experience some 'Hawaii Culture'!

And even more excited that you're cutting your own pineapple ;)

Liz Guidry said...

I cannot wait to see the layouts on these pics!!! You look so beautiful in the one with the pineapples :)