Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ramshackle...or Maybe Shack-Tastic

Wow, I do so need to move back overseas because apparently I stink at blogging when I'm in the States. Whoops. Anyway, we've been busy with Christmas shopping and all that stuff; Lee's back here in Texas (we took a week driving back here from North Carolina) and we're just enjoying our remaining time until we leave for England in a few weeks.

So anyway, I've had these pictures for more than two months and today seemed like a good day to blog them. When I went out to NC with Lee at the beginning of October, we had a Saturday with pretty much nothing planned, so we went on a photo scavenger hunt. The town we were in is pretty small, and it's surrounded by farms and rural stuff, including a lot of teeny houses and buildings that look like they're about to fall over. So we took a drive and snapped some pictures.

This was the first one we stopped to photograph; it was kind of fun just pulling off the side of the road whenever we found one we liked the looks of. (Don't worry, Mom, we were well out of the way of oncoming traffic. Which you probably already know since we're obviously not roadkill.)

When we lived in North Carolina, we used to take a 45-minute drive on back-country highways up to a larger town (which is where the nearest Barnes & Noble and Best Buy lived, and also where we adopted both of our dogs). We would pass probably a couple dozen buildings like this on that drive, and I always thought it would be neat to take some artsy photos of them and do them in black-and-white or sepia tone. So we finally got around to it this year.

The building is a bit too dark in this picture, but I like the colors in the foreground. I didn't do any editing on the photos before uploading.


This one was our favorite; the colors were just fantastic with the rusted roof, the exposed wood and of course the yellow and green vegetation all around it. I think we took a couple dozen pictures of just this one building. And then we got a bit artsy and tried it in sepia tone:

Cool, huh? Doesn't it just remind you of the Wizard of Oz? Oh, I so need to watch that this week. I like to watch it around Christmas since it always used to be played on tv every year around this time...but with a DVD, there are no commercials. Score!

I kinda like the lens flare on this one. I know you're supposed to avoid lens flares but sometimes it just looks cool.

This last picture was taken from our moving vehicle:

I think the angle on it makes it more fun, don't you? And there you have the best of the dilapidated shack photos.

So anyway, this week I finally got around to making my Christmas cards, writing my letter, and having some pictures made to go in the cards. As of this moment, I've only sent out two with some packages I mailed off today (Vicki, you got this year's first Christmas card from me!). The really funny part (to me) is that one of those Christmas cards went to my Jewish friend. Heh. If I'd had all my stamping supplies here I would have made her a Hannukah card instead, but oh well. So here's the photo that I put in with our cards:

I haven't taken any pictures of the cards themselves yet this year, but they're Oriental-inspired. Next year I'll have to come up with something European I suppose. Anyway, Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

CCsMom said...

Christy is standing over my shoulder as I read her blog and when I got to the sepia-toned photo, I said,"Hey, that looks like 'The Wizard of Oz' and then I read where she said the same thing. Pretty funny how we think alike -- and it happens quite often. LOVE IT!

Thoughts by B and M said...

Hehehe - You're ALIVE!!! I think your christmas card photo photographer was the bomb, don't you think ;) haha.

If only you could have stayed in the US for a few more weeks - we'd could have crossed paths as we'll be in SA on Feb 3...... :D

Giffysk8s said...

Of course, I love all the pics~especially the lens flare one! And I, too, thought that one photo looked like Auntie Em's home, and then I read your comment. Then I read your mom's comment and LOL. Maybe I am your long lost Aunt or something!

Can't wait to see your Christmas card, and I feel so honored to be getting the first one! :) The picture of you and Lee is perfect~reminds me of the SU cherry blossom stamp set (though it's not called that). Makes me want to go use that stamp!

Glad you are back in cyberville. It hasn't been the same without you.

jokinz said...

Glad to have you back! I like the lens flare picture. Gives it depth. One of my favorite pics we took from our last vacation to West Virginia had some spots and I think it was artsy and fun.

Happy holidays and have a safe trip overseas!

Jamie Adcock said...

There's a great stamp shop (although a little bit pricey) in Bury St. Edmonds!

Liz Guidry said...

You are going to be in photo HEAVEN over here. Only 4 more days!!