Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Splendid, Phases 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 7.25, 7.5, 7.75, and 8 (No, Really)

K, so being in the States makes me a really bad blogger. Maybe 'cause I've been living at my parents' house so they already know all the trouble I've been getting myself into...but anyway, that all changes tomorrow when we leave for England!!! But I thought I'd better update the blog here before I left since it will probably take a while before I have reliable Internet.

It occurred to me that it had been far too long since I shared progress photos of my cross stitch project, the orange crate label. In fact, it's been so long that I'm not really sure anymore exactly when these photos were taken. Looking back at the blog archives, it looks like the first picture was taken somewhere between Phase 4 and Phase 5:

So while we were still in Okinawa. I think this next one is a rehash of Phase 5:

So here's a newer picture; I know I did most of the orange groves in the background after I arrived in Texas. Behold, Phase 6:

The foreground was much faster than pretty much anything else on this piece since it only had about 6 colors in it instead of like 20. The only other part that went as fast as that was the sky. Anyway, then I finished in the background orange and leaves, so here's Phase 7:

At this point, I started stitching like a madwoman on the last orange and it started looking like an orange cross stitch version of the Death Star from Return of the Jedi. Here's Phase 7.25:

Vicki says she thinks it's funny that everything reminds me of Star Wars. When I was in high school, I had a poster that said "Everything I need to know about life I learned from Star Wars" and had things like "let the Wookiee win" and "Do, or do not. There is no try" as the Star Wars-ian life lessons. Wonder what happened to the poster. But I digress. Here's Phase 7.5:
Towards the end I started taking pictures every day when I started, and it still took *days* to finish the last orange. So here is 7.75, almost done:

And at long last, Phase 8!

34,144 stitches done!! You know, I don't know what I did with all the stitch counts from each phase and partial phase...that's what I get for waiting this long to blog about it. Oh well. I finished this in October, so it took me just under a year to complete it (I started it somewhere around Thanksgiving in 2009). Mom and I took it in to be framed and it got to pick it up before Thanksgiving, so I got to show it off then. I have some pictures of it all framed up and gorgeous, but I'm still trying to get a really *good* shot of it (the glass makes it difficult, what with the reflection and all). So we'll see if I get a good one today or tomorrow that I can post before we leave for England tomorrow night.

Yeah, tomorrow night!!

6 comments:

Thoughts by B and M said...

It looks fabulous!!!! SO glad you got it framed and hopefully it's on its way to England! :D Enjoy your last night in the good ol U.S. of A.!

Amber Hight said...

Wow, it turned out beautifully Christy! I can't imagine working on something that takes so long! I'd take that babe on the plane with me so nothing happens, lmbo! Wow, you leave tomorrow huh? Well SAFE travels girl! Let us know when you get to England safe and sound, miss you!

Sparkle said...

This is just gorgeous!

Giffysk8s said...

This is gorgeous!!! Can't wait to see the framed version. And I keep thinking that if this took a Master Stitcher like you a year to finish, then I will be 80 before I finish my Degas!!!

Can't wait for you to blog from England!

Jamie Adcock said...

If y'all are going to Lakenheath or Mildenhall I highly recommend Service First for your phone/internet NOT BT. We used Service First for three years and had SUPERIOR customer service and our phone/internet service was great as well. I heard lots of complaints from others about BT. Just a friendly suggestion from one mil wife to another. (I'm sure you don't remember me, but we went on the same ill-fated whale watching trip together).

Liz Guidry said...

This is awesome, Christy. Soooo - when are you going to make one for me b/c I don't have anything to hang in my kitchen ;p