Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Got Sunshine on a Cloudy Day

Houston, we have INTERNET!!! I would have blogged sooner, but I was waiting for our Internet to get all hooked up and working here at the house. We got a modem last week, the Internet was turned on Friday...and the modem didn't work, so they had to send us a second one, which we got yesterday. Lee set everything up while I took the kiddos for a walk, and then when I got back he gave me the Internet-enabled laptop and he took the Mac and we both surfed the 'Net for HOURS. Seriously, I took the laptop up to bed with me when Lee had to go to bed, and kept surfing until both the laptop and I turned into pumpkins at midnight because of low batteries (good thing I didn't bring the charger up with me or I might never have gone to sleep last night). And right now I'm blogging on the laptop while I upload a bunch of CDs into iTunes on the Mac, bwahahaaaa! Serious happy dancin' going on here, both because I have Internet and because of the music I'm uploading, which is a kind of a crazy mix but that's me all over.

So anyway, what did we do over the 3-day weekend with no Internet until yesterday afternoon? Well, we did some work on the house. When we moved in, the walls were festooned with a bewildering array of hooks, screws, nails, etc., some of which were in really weird places (we have no idea why there was a hook on either side of the door to the master bathroom...the only thing I can think is Christmas lights? or maybe I don't want to know...) and so we took some of them out in the entryway and living room, and then Lee patched the holes and painted over them with some paint he found in the garage that we assumed was the same color.

Heh. Aheh. Heh.

Yeah, our walls had cancer spots. Lee borrowed some paint from Liz's husband Bobby that actually was closer to the correct color, but it still didn't look right, so I suggested we paint the whole entryway and living room. And this is what it looked like before this past weekend.

It was a neutral warm ivory, which is fine, but I figured if we were going to paint anyway, we may as well pick a real COLOR. And this is the first time that Lee and I have ever painted anything in any house we've lived in since we got married.

On Saturday, we went out all over the area buying supplies to paint, and then we spent the evening taping everything off.

Lee took all the "before" pictures, so no shots of him in his matching jumpsuit, which was surprisingly comfortable once I cinched up the cuffs on the sleeves so I didn't feel like a kid playing dress-up mechanic.

So you want to know what color we chose? K, it was my idea, and I talked Lee into it because it's his favorite color. Behold!

So maybe pale blue isn't Lee's favorite *shade* of blue, but no way were we going to paint a dark color in here because it would have felt like a cave. For a while though, while the paint was drying, I was seriously worried that it was going to turn out less delicate powder blue and more Andy's bedroom from Toy Story. I was half-tempted to paint fluffy white clouds on it. But then we went to sleep on Sunday night and when we got up on Monday, it looked great. I like it better every time I look at it, even. (Yes, I realize I am totally gushing about PAINT. But I love it!)

So anyway, there's my super-cool apothecary cabinet in the entryway, and the koi picture above it is the one my mom stitched for me for my birthday a couple of years ago (I think it was for my first annual 29th birthday). Can't see the picture too well thanks to the glare but it looks great in real life. I put two pieces of Ryukyu glass on top of the cabinet, but I saw a giant cobalt blue vase at the local secondhand shop that I may go back and get...I want to put some pink and/or orange artificial flowers on top of here if I can get Mom to go shopping for me. The kokeshi doll is one that my sweet friend Amber sent me for my birthday this year :) I unpacked all my dolls today looking for one that had some orange in it to go right there, and then it turned out that my latest acquisition was exactly what I needed.

This house doesn't have a Harry Potter closet under the stairs, but it does have a ready-made Vader cave :) I knew as soon as I saw it that the dogs were going to love that little space, so we just stuck a dog bed down there as soon as we moved in. And then I had to get on hands and knees to paint it blue. We aren't sure how to remove the radiators from the walls to paint behind them, so I put a garbage bag over it and painted around it and behind it as best I could with a paintbrush. Actually doesn't look too bad.

Yesterday we had to go out to a hardware store and get masonry nails and a masonry bit for Lee's drill because, like Wolverine's exoskeleton, our walls are made out of adamantium and we broke a drill bit trying to hang pictures. We still need to do a bit of touching up behind these pictures, but it doesn't look bad with them up. Anyway, Lee and I got these watercolors on St. Maarten in the Caribbean when we went on our honeymoon Disney cruise, and the hot pink in there is why I want pink and/or orange flowers to go on the apothecary cabinet. The door on the left goes to the dining room, and the apothecary cabinet is just to the left of that, so those flowers would tie everything together over there I think.

It was hard to paint around that curtain rod by the front door, and there was quite a bit of ivory paint on it anyway proving that whoever painted in here last had even more trouble with it than we did :)

Today I unpacked my collection of Jim Shore figurines and used them to decorate a bit, what do you think?

I used several of my Jim Shore Tinker Bell figurines to decorate the shelf under the mirror, although I'm not 100% sure they'll live there forever. They look fine there for now but I reserve the right to change my mind in the future. Lee put the coat rack, shelf, and mirror back up while I was in the shower yesterday morning, and I have absolutely no idea how he hung the mirror up all by his onesies.

And here's the last picture we hung up, which is by the door to the guest room across from the master bedroom; Mom picked this up for us when she and Dad went to DisneyWorld.

So anyway, this was a pretty ambitious painting project, especially to start out with, and I think that Lee was hoping that I'd be content to leave everything else alone for a while. On the contrary, now I want to paint my craft room (purple), the guest room (pink), the dining room (green), and the living room (color to be determined when we get a new couch to replace the one molding away in our garage). Bwahahahaaaaa! I actually got a tester pot of purple paint for my craft room too, so I think I'll do that one sooner rather than later, and I think it would be a good idea to do the dining room *before* our dining room furniture gets here (whenever that will be). But I'll let him rest for a week or so before I subject him to anymore paint fumes.

Seven more CDs to upload into iTunes :) Guess the next hour or two will be spent updating my playlists on my iPod. Oh, how I missed having the Internet! Not that I need it to change playlists, but it's definitely easier to upload CDs with Internet access since iTunes will pull the information on the song titles and stuff for me. I hadn't realized how many CDs I got while I was in the States, but in my defense, I got quite a few of these at the used book store so they were cheap. And I love movie scores, but I think my next happy dance will be to the tune of the Katy Perry CD I just uploaded. Ta-ta for now, peeps!

3 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Christy, I LOVE the blue paint! It looks fabulous! I like how you are putting it all together. Hope to see it IRL one day!

W are painting this weekend. LR will be a rust red. DR will be a shade of brown. Over Memorial Day we will paint our room two shades of......PURPLE!

SO GLAD you have Internet! I have really missed you!!!!!!! Welcome back!

CCsMom said...

So did you go up the stairs? That's what it looks like. Wow! Great job! I should have had you help me to paint here. Maybe then I would have these half-finished projects done. Ha! Think I'll take off Friday and try to get the dining room started again. That's my favorite room in the house. But I love what you did. Looks great! So glad you have internet, too. Love you!

adifrog said...

Let's see: light blue in one room, green in the dining room, purple in the craft room...that just leaves moose antler brown for the living room and then our houses would be total twinkies. :) Love that blue you picked!