Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another Church & Graveyard

We had totally gorgeous weather here on Saturday (still a little cold for my taste, probably in the mid-50s to low 60s) but instead of going for a walk around our village, Lee and I hopped in the car and drove an hour and a half to the small, picturesque town of Orford, which is on the coast. We met a big group of people there to go see a castle, but once again I have no pictures of these other people so you'll have to take my word for it that they were there (or else start worrying that our coterie of imaginary friends is growing ever larger). Anyway, we managed to get to the town a good 45 minutes before anyone else, so we walked around a bit on our own. The first thing we saw was this:

These two birds were out in the middle of the road, having a big squawking argument. They didn't even move when a car came up; the driver had to go around. They'd peck at each other and make all these really funny noises and trust me when I tell you, it was hilarious to watch but only because it wasn't a knock-down, drag-out, let's-try-to-kill-each-other kind of fight. So after that, we walked on up the way to the church.

And since Lee said that I wrote last time that he's a terrible camera hog, I was the primary picture-taker this weekend, so all the photos except the one of the birds on today's post were taken by yours truly :) Isn't that a gorgeous blue sky? Told you the weather was fabulous, and now we have photographic proof that it's not always gray skies and rain in England. Well, ok, so it was gray skies and rain today ;)

This is the side of the church; we turned right from where we were when we took the first photo and walked down a bit before I took this one.

Look, a sign of spring! Unless I am much mistaken, the purple flowers are crocuses and the yellow ones are narcissus. We've got these coming up in our village too, and quite a profusion of daffodils growing in our backyard. Lucky for me they don't seem to require any kind of care on my part, or they'd probably be dead already...I've got a pair of black thumbs, but man, I do love flowers. Thinking about getting some seeds and see how I do, but I digress--back to the church.

Lee thought this tombstone looked cool because of the skull on top. From looking at the full-size image (I shrink down pictures before I put them on the blog so they load quicker), the first name on this is Samuel but I can't make out the last name, maybe Ogden, and it looks like the year says something like 1752.

We didn't go walking through the cemetery because Lee thinks that's a little bit creepy and not respectful enough, but we saw this one from the path so I had to take a picture of it. Just think, this headstone is older than the United States.

This is the back side of the church, and I got pretty excited when I saw the half-ruined archway, which is from an old Norman choir (I'm thinking that the "choir" is the name of a particular part of a church, not in this case referring to the singers themselves). I found a little bit of extra information on this site. Anyway, I have a feeling I'm going to be photographing a lot of ruins, churches, and castles for the next couple of years, which makes me happy :)

I probably could have stayed here and taken another couple dozen photos, but instead we walked over to the castle and took some photos around the outside of it before we met up with the rest of the group. Guess you know what I'm going to blog about next time, huh? ;) K, so I like to drag things out a little bit, but hey, it's my blog so I can do that. And next time we'll actually be *in* some of the photos! TTFN.

6 comments:

CCsMom said...

It does look like a glorious day there. I'm so glad you are getting out, stretching your legs and enjoying the countryside. Those birds are DEFINITELY English-looking -- some kind of quail? And the flowers are something -- I guess this is a clue as to why English gardens are so famous. Can't wait to see how that trellised plant in front of the window to your garage blossoms. On Google, it shows it in full bloom. I'll talk to you more on email. Love you!

Giffysk8s said...

I am totally stoked about all the cool photos you are going to post! I don't know anyone else who gets to photograph castles. I also am DYING to see photos of English gardens!

Since you like to photograph gravestones, I am definitely going to take you to see Ben Franklin's grave when you are here. :)

Christy Lynn said...

Visiting Benjamin Franklin's grave would be AWESOME, Miss Vicki! I've never been to New England at all so I'll want to see everything :) I'll take a look in my guide books and see what kinds of gardens we can go visit in London maybe in April or May...whenever the flowers would be best so you guys can see garden pictures :D

Liz Guidry said...

Castle?? How come I wasn't invited :( Can't wait to see pics!

Christy Lynn said...

Because we didn't decide we were going to go until Saturday morning and then we ran out of the house with our hair on fire thinking we were going to be the last ones there...and ended up getting there first instead :p

Liz Guidry said...

hehehe - I totally picture you guys with heads a-blazing like that guy on Hurcules ;)