Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Purple Passion for Craftin'

Wow, I didn't think it was going to take me almost a week to do another blog post...but I have not been idle! I painted my craft room, all by my onesies. And I took pictures so I'd have something to blog about :)

First of all, I had to empty out my stamp and paper cabinets so I could move those out of the room.

Y'know, all my craft stuff looks kinda scary when it's all piled up like this out in the open instead of in its cabinets. Thank goodness I didn't have to empty out the closet too (no way am I painting a closet).

Moving all this stuff required about a zillion trips back and forth between the craft room and the guest room (good thing for me that the guest room is pretty much empty). Vader followed me around for at least 3/4 of those trips, and narrowly avoided getting stepped on about a thousand times. Lucky for him he's cute.

Then I had to tape off everything in the craft room, so I had to lock Vader out of the room which he didn't appreciate too much. So he lurked in the hallway at the top of the stairs while I taped and rocked out to my iPod.

And here's how all my preparation looked. That big sploosh next to the window is where we got a tester pot of paint, tried it out, and decided it was too light. So I went one shade darker, which was Violet Verona #5 (the blue paint we used a couple weeks ago was called First Dawn, in case you're curious). After the first coat, Lee thought it looked more pink than purple, but it got purpler upon the second coat and I'm sure it will look even MORE purple once I get some purple curtains in here...I've already got those picked out. Anyway, here's what it looks like now:

I'm waiting until I get "real" furniture in here before I hang up any pictures, so hopefully it won't take too terribly long for me to find what I want. So my orchid photo sits on the floor...I have quite a few extra prints of other orchid pictures from some scrapbook layouts I did, so I think I'll look for a collage frame or two for those. They'd look good in here with the purple walls.

I didn't bother hanging up the old curtains again in here since I think I'll get the purple ones in fairly short order. Plus, while they kind of go with the carpet, they definitely do *not* work with the purple paint, so I can go curtain-less for a bit. I moved the stamp and paper cabinets back in here all by my onesies today while Lee was at work, too :)

And there's my little stalker, who followed me through almost every single trip to reclaim the stuff from the guest room and put it up in here. The only thing missing in this picture is Sadie under the table (she's totally passed out down there as I type this).

So yep, there it is! Lee helped get the furniture out of the room, but other than that, I did it all...he said he did that on purpose so that every time I come in here I'd have the satisfaction of knowing that it was all MY handiwork. That, or he didn't want to help paint ;) This paint didn't seem to cover quite as well as the blue did; I had to paint all the trim twice whereas I only did once in the blue paint, and then even though I got a grand total of 4.5 liters of paint, I still ran out before I finished the second coat on the wall behind the stamp and paper cabinets. Figured that wouldn't matter so much since it's all behind furniture, and that part at least looked like it got okay coverage the first time...*and* I already talked Liz into two trips to Thetford to get paint this week, I think three would have been beyond the pale, don't you? But now it's all painted, my stuff is back in here, and I'm ready to get crafty again.

Ordinarily I would have been posting some pictures of my needlework in progress, since we passed the end of February, but I didn't get ANY stitching done last month. I have about 3/4 of the gridding done on The Quarry, but that's as far as I got because there just isn't enough light in the living room to work on 18-count fabric. I bought a cheap lamp at Ikea to help out with that, but then I got American light bulbs that couldn't take the British voltage and we blew out three of those before we figured out the problem. Unfortunately, the last one fried the fuse in the lamp's plug, so now we need a new fuse before I have a working lamp. Arrrgh! Maybe we'll get it sorted this month and I'll have some stitching to show off at the end of the month.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my newly purple craft room :)

3 comments:

Liz Guidry said...

Looks great, Christy! AND I wouldn't have minded (that sounds funny) if we went on another trip to thetford ;) Can't wait to see it in person!

Giffysk8s said...

Well, you know how I feel about purple, so I LOVE it! It's purple-licious! I know how happy you will be in your purple craft room! And kudos to you for doing it all by yourself!

CCsMom said...

Definitely, definitely purple. Ha! Both of my girls have purple craft rooms. Pretty funny. But looks great.

Looking forward to FRIDAY today!!! Yay -- another weekend on the way, but it will be a working weekend in the bathroom renovation. Love you!