Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Quarry, Part 1

We did not go to London last weekend; we stayed here at the house and got some work done, like painting and cleaning and stuff. The study is mostly painted (need to do a few touch-ups) and is now the color of a Frosty at Wendy's (mmm...Frosty....want!) and we managed to clean the mold off our couch and put it in our living room. The cleaning process involved a couple of hours, multiple cleaning products, two heaters, and a lot of drying time, as well as directions that Lee found online. I'm delighted to have our couch back.

Anyway, since Lee fixed my lamp, I can finally stitch again (and sit on the couch, too!). It took me forever, but I finally got the gridding done for my next Scarlet Quince project, The Quarry:

So that's what it will look like when it's done; Lee likes all the blue so it's his favorite of the projects I intend to rotate through for the next zillion years until they're all done. Here's what I have so far:

Stupid Blogger uploaded the picture sideways and I can't get it to quit, it does that sometimes. Anyway, I'm almost embarrassed to post how little progress I made on this, it's quite pathetic, and at 1,390 stitches it's also just over ONE percent finished. So I've got a long way to go. Want to see how tiny and pathetic that little piece looks when you compare it to how big the picture is going to be?

The bad thing about starting in the upper left corner is it's all really pale, yellowish almost white color in there, so from afar it looks like I've gotten nothing done at all, and that's not much of a motivator. Snort. April's project starts with a whole lotta black thread though so at least that won't be a problem, ha! I also finally ordered the pattern for the project I'll start in May, and I'll rotate between The Quarry, those two, and Miranda (and maybe one other small, non-Scarlet Quince fun piece just because I like it). I got a much faster start on Miranda, but she's also the smallest of the four SQ pieces. I blame all this insanity on my dear friend Vicki who sent me three SQ patterns for Christmas and then I couldn't decide which to do first. Yep, all Vicki's fault.

In other stitching news, I don't care who your mommy is, my mommy is cooler. Look what I got in the mail today!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are those not the cutest things EVER?! Mom said she found the British flag pattern in a magazine and so she designed the Japanese flag one herself to go with it. The symbol in the background of the Japanese flag is the kanji for double happiness, and the red is done in a technique called blackwork (even though it's red on this one). I kinda think she may have charted the font herself too, in which case I say DUDE! Very cool. Wonder if we could find or make a similar pattern with the American flag? 'Cause, you know, that would complete the set and stuff and be incredibly awesome. Now Lee and I just have to figure out where to hang these two beauties to show them off the bestest. Thanks, Mom!

6 comments:

Sparkle said...

These are so lovely! I really need to make one!

Liz Guidry said...

Wow! Those are neato-cheeto!

Giffysk8s said...

Your mama so totally rocks! Way to go, Nina!!!

Okay, I will accept all responsibility for your plethora of SQ patterns. But as your friend, it was my DUTY to send you a gift I knew you'd love! Besides, I needed to balance the scales--you are always supplying me with wonderful stamping and scrapping projects. :)

I am so thankful that you demolded the couch because EW! A moldy couch is just yucky! Since you didn't need to replace the couch, does that mean you can buy your craft table?

CCsMom said...

So glad you liked them. When I saw the British flag, my mind went full throttle. And yes, I did design the letters on the Japanese flag using that Ginko font as a reference. That's my idea of fun and I don't have near enough time to play.

I can view your blog at work . . . I just can't make comment there. So happy everything made it there in one piece. Guess I've had plenty of packing experience, though! Love you!

Amber Hight said...

Okay, yo' momma ROCKS! Those are amazing and SUCH a fun idea!!!

adifrog said...

Wow! Those look awesome! That's such a neat idea (from a neat lady...for a neat lady...okay, okay, I'll stop).