Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Back in the Scrappin' Groove

I've been having some problems with Blogger lately, wouldn't let me comment and this is the first time the site has let me in since the last post went up.  Vicki says Blogger is picking on me 'cause she's not having any trouble.  Well, I'm in here now so I thought I'd post...although I'm still having some issues with the new format thing, my pictures are all out of order.  At least I tricked Blogger into getting all of these the right orientation, ha!

This month I've started working on an album of photos from when my parents visited us in Okinawa back in 2008, so that's what all these pages are from and why the title font is the same on all of them.  I figured using just the one alphabet (an old Sizzix one from before they came out with the Big Shot stuff) would help the album feel more cohesive.  Plus it means I don't have to think up different title treatments for every layout.


I did this one yesterday, the first time in a long time I've started a layout, finished it, *and* uploaded it to my Splitcoast gallery all on the same day.  I found this sketch in my binder from a long time ago so I thought I'd give it a shot...this is probably my favorite of the pages I'm sharing today.  I'm glad I've got a whole 'nother pack of that Razzleberry Lemonade patterned paper to play with (or hoard, if we're honest).  I was going to use some polka-dotted Melon Mambo ribbon for the strip going across the middle, but that was just one pattern too many so I did plain cardstock strips instead.  This one came together pretty quickly for me (I'm a very slow scrapper, so getting a layout done in a single day is a little unusual).  I miss Crushed Curry, wish SU would bring that color back.  Who am I kidding, I think they should never retire colors, they should just keep adding a half-dozen every year!


This layout, in contrast, fought with me the whole time I was working on it. I got the color blocks done and the photos on the left side stuck down and then it sat for weeks before I finished it.  Still don't like it particularly well, but not every page can be your favorite and it's done now so that's something.  Not sure I like the punched flower accents, but I stamped out two or three different sets of flowers and none of them was working so I went with the punches just to get it done.  Harumph.  The vertical photo on the left is Dad and Lee at the top of a very tall, steep hill that Dad had to mow when they lived in that house 30 years ago.  The pics on the right are both of Mom and me...she was like 6 months pregnant in the photo on the left and in the one on the right it's as if I sprang forth fully grown, Athena-style.


For some reason no one has commented on this one in my gallery, I don't know why 'cause I like it.  I think this is now the fourth time I've used this sketch, might as well just use it once in every single album I do, right?  This time it's Lee's fault; I showed him a couple of different ideas and he picked this sketch.  Not exactly sure why this is my favorite sketch, although I've liked every layout I've done with it...maybe I'm just drawn to the borders on the sides, I seem to like doing borders.


See, there's another border of patterned paper, although this one takes up half the pages so does that mean it's still a border?  I've been having fun with lots of bright, summery colors in this book...the stamp set and patterned paper on this one were from Stampin' Up!'s summer mini catalog from last year.  When I was in the States, I got a couple of sets of Nestabilities, and the circle ones have been fantabulous for scrapbooking.  I need to get a bunch more of those, I love most of the label shapes they have.


And here is the picture that didn't want to load right...Blogger kept rotating it to the right to make it vertical, so I rotated the original 90 degrees to the left so when I uploaded it and Blogger flipped it, it ended up in the right orientation.  Patting myself on the back for thinking of that one ; )  I cut all the photos on the right page into squares so I could fit more of them on here; the squares are all adhered a little bit crooked so I didn't give myself heartburn trying to make them all exactly straight and even (it looks more artfully crooked IRL).  I kind of hate to cut up my pictures now but I managed to do it for this layout.  The only one of the cropped photos that still kind of bothers me is the one on the bottom row in the center; I couldn't fit in the flower and its long, long stamen so the end is cut off a bit.  While I cut off quite a bit of the other photos I don't think that the results look bad at all.

I still have about 20 pages to do to complete this album, but I think I've got a good start on it...and I've got a fat pile of other photos to work with too, not to mention the 800+ that are in my shopping cart at Winkflash.  That includes some England pictures, some Japan pics from last year, and a whole boatload of China stuff...yup, I won't catch up on scrapping any time soon!

So that's what I've been up to this week. The house is in dire need of a good vacuuming (or Hoovering, as they say here) but Sadie and I mortally wounded the vacuum cleaner over the weekend so that will have to wait until we get a new one.  We may be knee-deep in dog hair when that happens, I swan that Sadie is shedding twice as fast here as she did in Okinawa, which is weird because it's still cool enough that I'm wearing a long-sleeve shirt and a sweater when I take Sadie and Vader out for walks.  I should probably go ahead and do now so I have the rest of the day to scrap uninterrupted ; )  Oh, okay, I'll do dishes too.

Sadie can tell time.  I told her when I got on the computer that I'd take her out for a walk at ten o'clock, and she just informed me that I'm more than five minutes late now.  Why'd we have to get a smart dog?  Smart alec, anyway!

3 comments:

Giffysk8s said...

Well I am thrilled to see that you outsmarted the Blogger bully! You are much too sweet to be bullied.

Well, I haven't been on SCS in ages, otherwise I would most certainly have commented on your layouts! (I forget to even check there. I need to go peruse your gallery after I write this.) I always LOVE your layouts. In fact, I printed all of these so that I would remember them. You may just see some of them on my blog (with your permission, of course) as I plan on scrapping all weekend and will most certainly run out of my own ideas. Besides, I always like your ideas better than mine. :)

I must tell you that I love how your dad is always smiling and happy and looking quite jolly in your photos. And there's no way your mom looks old enough to be your mom! Love the two photos by the post. It's amazing how you broke out and grew up but your mom didn't age a bit!

Gotta say I love the Funky Statues pages! I don't think I've seen you do a layout with "artfully crooked" photos~but it fits the theme perfectly! And I need to remember that term "artfully crooked" for when I unintentionally mount my photos out of kilter. LOL

And I will most certainly use your Botanical Gardens layout for my tulip photos from the Boston Garden.
I love how bright and colorful this is!

Glad you found your scrappin' mojo and shared it with me!

CCsMom said...

How totally FUN!!! And I love that the colors are SO BRIGHT!!! Looking at the Botanical Gardens photos, I remember how HUMID it was that day -- like breathing through a wet washcloth. But I guess that's necessary to support all those gorgeous flowers. Hmmm, this makes me want to start on my own Okinawa album. I've been cross stitching the embellishments for it -- I probably have 14 or so. Yes, that's me -- the collector!

Love you! Mom

Liz Guidry said...

I am having problems with my blog too - and commenting on some of my friends blogs as well. I did not see your fish LO when I was in your gallery, so I will run right over and comment because I'm cool like that ;)