Sunday, May 8, 2011

Ciao!

Christy bugged me relentlessly to be a guest blogger on here to share my exciting adventures in Italy. I fought tooth and nail, refused her day and night, and finally put my foot down to say "absolutely NOT!"

So here's my first post...

I had the pleasure to recently travel to Italy and see some of the sights, to include Venice, Murano, and some parts of the Dolomite mountains near the town of Aviano. I ended up taking the smaller camera with me so these pictures are completely unedited.

There I am! Christy keeps telling me that I don't get in pictures enough. My argument is that someone has to take the pictures and she is way more photogenic than I am. I took a train from Pordenone to Venice for 16 euro (first class, round trip) and this was the the sight that greeted me as I got off the train. It's pretty cool to see all these big buildings sitting right on the water and boats being driven like cars. It wasn't hot, but I could easily tell that in the summer months it would stink because the water is REALLY dirty. I'm pretty sure if you fall in you either a.) instantly get cancer, b.) develop superpowers, or c.) smell horrible for the rest of your life.

This picture pretty much says it all for Venice. Despite the dirty water, it's absolutely gorgeous, has a fascinating history, and everywhere you walk fills you with a sense of intrigue. Notice how the boats are literally parked at doorways (I think backdoors).

The buildings are a mix of bright colors. I could have taken thousands of photos. I chose this photo simply for the Italian flag flying, which you see everywhere in Venice.

My little group made its way through the city, about a 30 min walk, to St. Mark's Square. I think this is among the most famous places in all of Venice, if the crowds were anything to go by. This picture is of the Bell Tower. You can pay to go to the top and view all of Venice. I didn't because I want to have interesting new stuff to do when I go back with Christy.

This is the St. Mark's Basilica. I'm only going to say two words to describe this building "ornate" and "wow". I don't think I've ever seen a more decorated building in my entire life and I only saw the outside. My friends went on a tour inside and said it was even better than outside. This is another must do when Christy and I go. I'm sure she will write of its historical references, but that's her shtick, not mine.

So after meandering around the docks for awhile, a friend and I jumped a cheap boat to Murano, which is famous for its glass. Attention: this was my 1 and only artsy shot of the day. I think there are many more potentials with the big camera, but this came out ok. That big blue star in front is called the "comet glass star" or "cometa divetro" if you sporacansi italiano. To think something that large is solid glass and supports its own weight is staggering.

Finally, we saw this on our ride over to Murano. I'm not sure what it's referencing but it was too funny to not take a picture of. Just to set the surroundings...there are tons of buildings along this section of wall that are being redone but don't look like they are being used. Maybe something strange did happen there.

Anyways, not a long or funny post like Christy does, but it's done none-the-less. I have more pictures from the mountains, but I only promised (however hard I tried not to) to do 1 post. Maybe if there are like 15 responses from different people I'll post again.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool!

And I am poster #1!

CCsMom said...

That first post is from your father-in-law, even though he did it anonymously. The 2nd is from your M-I-L. Wow, what great pictures. I know Christy can't wait to get back there with you -- and I'm wanting to see pictures from your mountain climbing. I'll see if I can't get some of the people I work with to post (but they'll have to do it from home as you can't through work). You can VIEW the blog, but you can't post on it. Weird, I know.

I vote for more blog from Lee. Love ya!!!

Amber Hight said...

I'm glad to see that you put your foot down! :)

Great pictures Lee, Italy looks amazing and I'm sure you and Christy will have so much more fun when you go together! I love the picture of the churches, the Basillica is amazing, I bet it's just awesome inside!

Thanks for the post! Okay people, we need 12 more comments so he'll post more:)

Giffysk8s said...

All of your pics are awesome, but I really like the one of the Murano glass. It is so beyond cool and reminds me of stalagmites I've seen in caves.

But I must say that I LOVE the second photo~I just love water reflections, and you took a perfect shot!

Most of all, I think it's sweet and romantic that you saved the most special things to do with your sweetheart. :)

Glad you are home!

Thoughts by B and M said...

So glad you got to experience Italy...perfect for taking us back there whenever we head your direction! MERGE!

Deb Williams said...

Post #5

I was in Venice last November and this brings back so many memories. We took a gondola ride through the city, and like you say Chris, I most definitely would not want to fall in that water. But the city is gorgeous and so unique. We loved it there and will someday return as well.

Lela said...

Wow, GREAT picts. I'm really impressed that you made sure to get one of you included. Looks like you had fun. I had friends that lived there for 18 months so I KNOW your trip back with Christy will be another neat experience with more beauty to see. Thanks for sharing

Tam said...

Wowzer! Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing for those of us who haven't been, your pics are breathtaking!!!!!

chickadee3357 said...

Amazing pictures! I would love to scrapbook some of those ones!

Michele said...

Fabulous pictures! It is so sweet of you to want to wait on doing some things until you can take Christy.

Tanya said...

These pictures are fabulous! What a great trip and I love that you're waiting for your wife to see things with you!

Sewflake said...

Wow your pictures are way cool and I feel like I have taken a tour of the city with your discripion. A city that I will never see in person.

Terry said...

What awesome pictures and I loved reading your impressions about the places. I'll never travel outside the US so it's so cool to see others pictures...I vote for more too!

CCsMom said...

Wow, Lee -- 13 posts from DIFFERENT people. I'm not seeing anything from the "A" team -- we'll have to get on them. If they do, then you'll have 15 DIFFERENT ones since this one doesn't count. Hey, that's WAY MORE than Christy usually gets -- I think she has readers, just not posters. And by the way, Christy, Robin got some mail from you today and was tickled pink!!! Love you.

Wendy aka wendella247 said...

Loved your comments on your visit to Venice, Lee! Your dialogue is very entertaining and I loved the photos you chose. Two of my favorites are the blue comet and Mark's Basilica.

You sound like a fun person to travel with and I'm sure Christy will have a blast when she goes back there with you.

Thanks for your great travelogue since I don't think I'll ever make it to Venice! Wendy

Anonymous said...

Great photos and descriptions. Thank you so much for posting! Enjoyed it thourghly.
Sharon

CCsMom said...

OK, Ree -- you have your 15 comments from DIFFERENT sources . . . no more excuses!!! And yes, he is really something to travel with -- a very fun person to be around.