Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Duck Duck Swan and the Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up


I just switched to the new editor thingie on Blogger and I haven't quite figured out how it all works yet, so I'm slightly annoyed.  I like to write some before the first picture in a post generally, setting up where we were and what we were doing, but like I said, I haven't figured this one out yet and I can't get it to let me type ABOVE the first picture.  Grrrrr.  What is nice is that I can upload more than five pictures at a time, and I do tend to upload a lot of pictures.  But anyway, let's start over.

On Saturday, Lee and I had been invited to be part of a group going to the horse races in Newmarket, and while that *totally* sounds like me since I was always a horse-crazy chick, I didn't feel like getting dressed up and going out with a crowd.  So instead Lee and I went to London and our first stop was Kensington Gardens, and the first thing we found there was the Round Pond (seriously, they couldn't come up with a more poetic name than that?)

 

Lee took all these pictures of the birds in the pond.  If you've never seen one in person before, swans aren't exactly tiny, but luckily these ones seemed much less interested in attacking us or going all crazy ballerina than they were in begging for bits of bread that a group of people were tossing in the pond (obviously, they aren't on a ballerina's no-carb diet).


They really didn't seem at all timid or anything though; we got pretty close to several of the birds and they didn't even bat a proverbial eyelash (since I'm not sure swans have eyelashes).


Lee also took this duck picture, great colors huh?  Most of the birds were in the water, but there were several up on the shore either sleeping or preening, and they're so used to people they wouldn't even move out of the way if you walked towards them, so we walked around.


There's a view through Kensington Gardens towards...a building, I don't know what it was :)  Kensington Gardens is pretty massive; the main boulevard through the center is where people can rent bikes and there are lots of others out walking their dogs (many of them not on leashes), going for a jog or just enjoying the great outdoors in the middle of Europe's largest city.  We talked about how fun it would be to take Bee and Vee out here, but Sadie would get so excited that she'd try to go in every direction at once and would probably explode, black hair everywhere.

And here I am adding a caption because I hate this new editor thing.  This is a statue we saw in the park.   

We walked all over the park looking for the Peter Pan statue before we figured out that our trusty London guidebook has a map which has the statue marked.  Heh.  But we got there in the end.  And I'm enough of a Harry Potter nut that the first thing I thought of when I saw "OM" was "Order of Merlin", not...whatever it stands for.  Order of Merit, says Wikipedia.


There's Peter Pan, playing the pipe to an audience of fairies and woodland creatures (sorry, ran out of P's before the end of the sentence).


I took close-up shots of all the characters on the statue, starting of course with Peter...although this may be the one Lee took ;)


The rabbits remind me of Sleeping Beauty and her coterie of woodland creature friends.


These three ladies are on the front of the statue and I just thought this picture came out pretty neat.



Peeking around the side of the statue.


And last but not least, two fairies having a conversation with a squirrel.  Squirrels are great conversationalists.  Lee and I had a discussion about whether or not this is the same statue as is in the movie Hook, but we don't think so.  We said we were going to watch that when we got home but we haven't done it yet.  Last night, however, I did watch the live-action Peter Pan movie with Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter's Lucius Malfoy) as Captain Hook/Mr. Darling; it was pretty cute although I think the girl who played Wendy had book-Hermione's teeth.

Anyway, I've got more photos from our trip to London but they shall have to wait for another post.  I think 15 photos in one post is plenty, don't you?

4 comments:

Amber Hight said...

Christy...first off...a little part of me dies every day because I miss you so bad!!!
2nd, LOOOOVE the peter pan statue, totally awesome and now I need to go watch it! I love Peter Pan!!! I also really love Hook...dang. Two movies I havfe to watch now.
3rd...you should have gone to the horse races! That sounds so funa nd I've always wanted to go!
4th...I LOVE YOU and MISS YOU!:)

Giffysk8s said...

Hmm...are 15 photos plenty in one post? I'm not sure. My Boston Garden post had over 30, including a few of swans! LOL But other than Miss Emma, I didn't photograph anything as darling as Peter Pan. I mean, how do you beat that? Although the Boston Garden does have statues of Mrs. Mallard and her ducklings (from Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey). Still, Peter Pan wins!

Of course you thought OM meant Order of Merlin! I thought it, too. :)

Everybody complains about how dreary England always is, but you have taken lots of photos with beautiful blue skies and bright white clouds!

Love the photo of the mallard duck. We have tons of those here with our swans. I love how Lee caught the drop of water on the duck's beak and the ripple in the water. Great shot!

Hope you're having a fabulous day!

Amber Hight said...

Oh, and you should be able to just drag your photos below the writing...I usually just type my introductory crap and then add the pictures and it goes where I want it, but if it's not going where you want it, just click the picture and drag it? That should do it...

CCsMom said...

How can you NOT love Peter Pan?!!! I'd love to have that statue in MY backyard, wouldn't you? The detail is amazing. How fun!